New shader implementations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shader implementations

Would be awesome to have access to some of the newer models for doing specular highlights, glossy refractions/reflections.

Stuff like the Cook-Torrence spec model or that GGX glossy reflection/refraction model.

Any chance of things like this being implemented in the future?

There is in fact a Cook-Torrence BRDF, but it doesn't have a nice UI yet and might be a bit difficult to control. You can create it from Create > V-Ray > Create from V-Ray plugin > Material and choose BRDFCookTorrance. (Note that the "... Tex" params are the ones that matter, i.e. Hilight Glossiness Tex, Reflection Glossiness Tex etc).

There are some other materials planned as well.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

What is the advantage/difference of Cook-Torrence over the standard vray models?

Comment

It is supposed to look more realistic.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I played around with the Cook-Torrence model in VRay the other night and came to the conclusion that at similar levels of reflection blur...I really can't tell the difference between Phong, Blinn, Ward or Cook.

I'm wondering if GGX would be any different, it seems to be quite advanced and physically based from the white papers I've read.

Comment

Originally posted by kweechy View Post
            I'm wondering if GGX would be any different,
            Not much. It's blurry reflections after all... The differences usually show up with hilights at low angles when the light is almost opposite to the camera - then the different models produce quite different results, all of which can be observed in nature. On the other hand if you look at a surface head-on, the difference is small.

it seems to be quite advanced and physically based from the white papers I've read.
            So are the other shading models...

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Is this secret cook Cook-Torrence BRDF implemented into Vray for Max???

And by secret I mean, can it be "unlocked" somehow
              Last edited by grantwarwick; 14-04-2013, 09:21 PM.
              admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
              Mastering CGI
              CGSociety Folio
              CREAM Studios
              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
              X