Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random shader

Hi there,

I thought this was mentioned before, but searching didn't bring up any results, anyhow - just requesting a sort of node that would be able to randomize shaders on different objects. Kind of like mr in maya via mentalcore:

Click image for larger version

Name:	core_randomizer.png
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	876508

The best example for usage would be assigning this shader to proxies and each, say tree, had a slightly different hue to it every time it was instanced.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

+1 for me.
    www.deex.info

Comment

+1 as well
      Portfolio: http://www.cgifocus.co.uk

Comment

And random in proxy will be great also.
        www.deex.info

Comment

Good one, +1.

(Btw, what I do to from time to time (works for leaves, grass,...) is, that I make a second UV map (just automap) and use this to map some noise via a ramps U coord to my grass/tree leaves through a layered texture.)

Comment

Originally posted by pechart View Post
            Good one, +1.

(Btw, what I do to from time to time (works for leaves, grass,...) is, that I make a second UV map (just automap) and use this to map some noise via a ramps U coord to my grass/tree leaves through a layered texture.)
            Yep, but i am not sur if we can have 2 UV set in a proxy (?).
            www.deex.info

Comment

I think it works, but you have to relink the textures through the uv sets in the relationship editor, after you've imported the proxy. But of course it works only in ONE proxy, not for randomizing several proxy objects in one scene on an object level.
              Last edited by pechart; 16-07-2012, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I've added this request to our TODO, so we won't forget about it and it will be implemented in the future.

Until then you can use some scripting to assign vray user attributes to your geometry and then you can use vrayusercolor textures to achieve the same/similar effect.

/Teodor
                V-Ray developer

Comment

Thank you Teodor.
                  I use user attributes a lot (with custom attributes) and it works very well. The problem is user attributes doesn't work with proxy.
                  It will be great if proxy can keep all "custom user attributes" added by the user.
                  But it is an another request.
                  www.deex.info

Comment

bigbossfr: As far as I can see we have this feature (user attributes in proxy) in the TODO, too.
                    V-Ray developer

Comment

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
                      bigbossfr: As far as I can see we have this feature (user attributes in proxy) in the TODO, too.
                      Great !
                      Thank you Teodor.
                      www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
                        Hi,

I've added this request to our TODO, so we won't forget about it and it will be implemented in the future.

Until then you can use some scripting to assign vray user attributes to your geometry and then you can use vrayusercolor textures to achieve the same/similar effect.

/Teodor
                        Hello, is the later (via scripting and usercolor) still the best way to do this?

I saw this new product for Max (see the randomize colour feature per face/object/element);

http://www.vizpark.com/shop/color-extract-le/

And made me realise how useful this feature would still be in 2015 and beyond. I think Random colours is such a help to improve realism with many objects, trees etc..
                        Maya 2020/2022
                        Win 10x64
                        Vray 5

Comment

any news on this?

how would you randomize a shader

Comment

hi,
                            try this here....
                            It isĀ“nt so powerfull and handy like the nice max-tool, but for humanize trees and grasses and so on, an absolute wonderfull thing.
                            ...perhaps an idea for the first!?

http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2012/07/2...nd-does-grass/
                            Vray 3.5, Win10
                            www.3dcompani.com

Comment

Is the random output from the samplerInfo already available in recent builds?

Comment

Working...
                              X