Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reset 'Region render' if resolution changes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reset 'Region render' if resolution changes.

I know I'm not the only one who has rendered a region in the lower right of a 1920x1080 frame, then reduce the resolution to say, 25%, only to waste several minutes rendering black frames until I realize that 'Region render' is still enabled, but is entirely outside the scope of resolution frame. The only indication appears to be a single red pixel in the lower right corner of the render output, and of course, the enabled 'Region render' icon. Granted, fool me twice, shame on me, but this is a fairly annoying issue that I've encountered more than once to be sure, even when the file is re-opened apparently. Ideally, the region could actually scale as a percentage of width and height so that the region is approximately the same at different resolutions, but I'm not sure how that would work out when changing aspect ratios.

Another annoyance is the 'pan-n-scan' discrepancy between the V-Ray frame buffer and the Maya Render View. It would be nice if I could navigate the V-Ray frame buffer in the same way as an orthographic viewport. I wouldn't be surprised if these issues have already been addressed, but I haven't found them elsewhere.

Originally posted by everythinghasfresnel View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who has rendered a region in the lower right of a 1920x1080 frame, then reduce the resolution to say, 25%, only to waste several minutes rendering black frames until I realize that 'Region render' is still enabled, but is entirely outside the scope of resolution frame. The only indication appears to be a single red pixel in the lower right corner of the render output, and of course, the enabled 'Region render' icon. Granted, fool me twice, shame on me, but this is a fairly annoying issue that I've encountered more than once to be sure, even when the file is re-opened apparently. Ideally, the region could actually scale as a percentage of width and height so that the region is approximately the same at different resolutions, but I'm not sure how that would work out when changing aspect ratios.
    This is already on the TODO list.

Originally posted by everythinghasfresnel View Post
    Another annoyance is the 'pan-n-scan' discrepancy between the V-Ray frame buffer and the Maya Render View. It would be nice if I could navigate the V-Ray frame buffer in the same way as an orthographic viewport. I wouldn't be surprised if these issues have already been addressed, but I haven't found them elsewhere.
    Can you explain better what exactly do we need to change in order to make it less annoying?
    V-Ray developer

Comment

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
      This is already on the TODO list.
      Awesome. I figured it had been reported at some point.

Originally posted by t.petrov View Post
      Can you explain better what exactly do we need to change in order to make it less annoying?
      Currently, VFB navigation on OS X is as follows:
      CMD+Left Click = Double resolution
      CMD+Right Click = Half resolution
      CMD+Middle Click drag = Pan

The Maya Render View is as follows:
      CMD+Left Click drag = Pan
      CMD+Right Click drag = Zoom in when dragged right, zoom out when dragged left.
      CMD+Middle Click drag = Pan

I personally would like the VFB to match the Maya Render View. I'm not sure if other people would agree, but it makes sense to me that they should be consistent.

Comment

Oh, this is on OSX.
        On Linux/Windows it doesn't feel, so annoying and disturbing that the shortcuts doesn't match.
        Probably the reason is that the shortcuts don't overlap.
        V-Ray developer

Comment

We will make the region render to be relative to the output resolution size; it's been on the "to do" list for a while.

About the navigation, the code for the VFB is the same regardless of what particular modeling application it is in; we could make it to conform to the Maya way of panning/zooming but it might be confusing as people move from one application to the other, so I'm not thoroughly convinced we should do it. It would be good to see comments from other users too.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ah, I didn't see the comments about Mac OS X either That's a good point. We'll definitely consider this.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Great, glad to hear it. Will keep my fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
              X