Continue aborted or crashed render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continue aborted or crashed render

Hi, so this is kind of an unorthodox and layman-like wish perhaps, but I think all of us have at some point wanted to be able to do this, as it would make our lives a bit easier.

Would it be possible to discuss whether such a functionality would at all be possible?
    There are multiple scenarios in my particular company where this would be useful. To name a few:
    1. A render for some reason does not finish (power outage, crash, network connectivity lost), usually because something unexpected happens.
    2. We render on both farm machines and workstations and sometimes when we come in to work in the morning someone may realize a render is going on their machine and so they cancel it because they need their machine.

What do you guys think?
    Is it something that is practically out of the question or would it be possible to somehow find a long-term solution?

The idea came up when we were talking about whether you could jump off a DR render without ruining/halting the total DR render (we run the DR slave as an app which can be launched on any workstation on-demand and which would then join an ongoing DR render). The main objective would be to not have to restart the render from scratch, but instead keep going from where it was when it stopped.

Perhaps a file would get stored on the network drive (meaning; in the project), which would store all information necessary to pick the rendering up if it wasn't completed. If the render was completed, this file would get discarded after rendering. For us, the best place for the location of such a file would be inside the render folder, next to the output (e.g. EXR files).
    Last edited by Fredrik Averpil; 24-05-2013, 12:56 AM.
    Best Regards,
    Fredrik

Well, it depends on where the rendering was interrupted. If it was stopped during the final render phase and you were writing to a .vrimg file, we could probably just fill in the missing buckets. But if it was stopped in the middle of doing something else (irradiance map, light cache, photon map etc), it would be close to impossible.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

"Resuming" a .vrimg file sounds like a great feature to me. What about being able to resume an OpenEXR file in the same manner?
      Best Regards,
      Fredrik

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrik Averpil View Post
        "Resuming" a .vrimg file sounds like a great feature to me. What about being able to resume an OpenEXR file in the same manner?
        OpenEXR does not support partial files, so it won't work.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Oh okay. But being able to fill in missing buckets of a .vrimg render would be totally fantastic for us in case this is something that can be implemented.

Maybe this feature could get activated by ticking a checkbox in the render globals/image format options/VRImg options: "Resume any missing buckets" - and if the image to be rendered is already in place and does contain missing buckets, it will not get overwritten but instead resumed.

Of course I'll leave the details for you to figure out, but I think this type of behavior would be a huge feature.

What do you think?
          Best Regards,
          Fredrik

Comment

Working...
          X