Max Velocity tool...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Velocity tool...

It would be amazing if there was a button or a script that would sort of playblast your scene and then tell you what the maximum velocity of the scene was and what frame the max velocity happened on.
    As it stands now it's kind of eyeballing things and having to render out the scene before you can even get a read on the maximum velocity.

I don't know if this is possible but the current system of ascertaining maximum velocity is not ideal.

Thanks!

Why not render to float and not worry about that at all?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

If you render to float you don't need to set the max velocity before you render out the velocity pass?

Comment

Originally posted by evanerichards View Post
        If you render to float you don't need to set the max velocity before you render out the velocity pass?
        No, you don't have to do that. The max. velocity is only useful if you write to 8-bit or 16-bit file format. If you are writing to OpenEXR, you can leave it at 1.0.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

I had no idea. Man. Wish I'd know that sooner! I spent about 2 hours yesterday going through a bunch of scenes and rendering out the fastest looking frames to figure out the fastest frame.

Thanks for the tip! That is good news actually.

Comment

Would 16bit float do the trick or would it have to be full float?

Comment

Would 16bit float do the trick or would it have to be full float?
              16-bit would probably be enough for most things.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Again, I'm not certain if I quite understand the clamp velocity selection. If I set the max velocity to 1 and rendering the images out as 16bit EXRs would I want to clamp the velocity or not?

Thanks for being patient while I figure things out.

Comment

Again, I'm not certain if I quite understand the clamp velocity selection. If I set the max velocity to 1 and rendering the images out as 16bit EXRs would I want to clamp the velocity or not?
                  Nope, you don't want the clamping (so that you can get values > 1.0 in the file).

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Working...
                  X