Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random shader

Hi,

I know this is has been talked about before, but is there a possibility that V-Ray could have a multi-shader function in Maya whereby you could assign x number of random shaders to an object. There would be two methods of distribution:

1) random assignment per face
    2) random assignment per "shell" object.

I'm aware Maya has no idea of face ID compared to 3DS Max, but surely V-Ray would know per face and a "shell" object???

Is this possible? It would be super cool to have for trees in Maya, vegetation, bricks etc and would help realism with a quick way to break up textures. Just an idea.
    Maya 2020/2022
    Win 10x64
    Vray 5

You can already do this with VRaySwitchMtl. I'm still not sure what is the easiest way to use for a texture. Maybe VRayUserColor. The Object ID can be used alternatively.
    V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

The Render ID probaly can also be used, but currently you can't get it with the samplerInfo.
      V-Ray/PhoenixFD for Maya developer

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately this could only happen on a single mesh. It weighs 500GB and Maya could not handle separating the mesh into pieces (the separate mesh operation ran for 12 hours overnight and still didn't complete).

If anyone else searches for the future, the solution in the end was to use a fractal node as a triplanar projection into the blendColours attribute. Works perfectly for trees.
        Last edited by snivlem; 12-06-2014, 09:39 PM.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

Working...
        X