add attributes to selection sets + selection set manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• add attributes to selection sets + selection set manager

we really need a way to add attributes to selection sets and a way to manage all those.
    renderman and 3delight are doing a good job here. also arnold...
    working with hundreds of objects in vray is really a pain.

What attributes do you want to add?
    Do you know that the VRayObjectProperties and VRayDisplacement and some of the other V-Ray nodes are in fact Sets?
    V-Ray developer

Comment

thats right those are sets but not created by maya... and there is not really an easy way to manage all your objects...
      vray should have a tab in the Attribute Editor in each maya set like arnold...
      and a specialiced editor for connecting objects and lights to sets...

Comment

Originally posted by FSGFX View Post
        thats right those are sets but not created by maya...
        What do you mean by this?

and there is not really an easy way to manage all your objects...
        You can use the relation ship editor as with any other set.

vray should have a tab in the Attribute Editor in each maya set like arnold...
        There are people that mentioned that the V-Ray's solution is better, because it doesn't pollute everything with V-Ray's attributes.
        But I guess there will be people of both opinions. We have a task in our ToDo to investigate a similar system.

and a specialiced editor for connecting objects and lights to sets...
        Why do you need a specialized editor, when there is the relationship editor?
        V-Ray developer

Comment

id like to use a maya set and not a vrayobjectproperties set.
          cause we use multiple renderer. and we have artists working on scene bevore the lighting starts and those dont have vray installed.
          but the are creating maya sets for all kind of later useage.

Comment

OK, this seems like a valid workflow.

Would it be OK for you if we make it possible to add maya sets to the VRayObjectProperties, VRayDisplacement, VRayFur, etc?
            At the moment VRayFur almost works correctly when you add a set instead of a mesh object, so you can test it to see if it is usable in your workflow.
            For the others we have to write some code, but I don't think it will be that complex.
            V-Ray developer

Comment

I have a idea : it would be great if on a Maya set, with can add "separated VRay attributes".

For example, in the attribute editor of a Maya set, in the Attributes ---> VRay, we will have :
              - Primary visibility
              - Reflection
              - Refraction
              - Object ID
              - Wrapper properties
              - reflection exclude
              - refraction exclude
              - more...

With this, it will be great because :
              1) We can manage a lot of objects easily and quickly (for example, if i want to remove the primary visibility of a lot of objects, i create a set and add just the attribute primary visibility. It i want to remove the reflection of an object which is in the first set (primary visibility), i can create another set with the attribute reflection and add this object inside. All attributes is separated. This is more clear, and we know that "this set do this, this set this...". The problem with "VRay object properties" is that all attributes is not separated ).

2) We can create these attributes (on Maya sets) without VRay.
              Last edited by bigbossfr; 28-08-2014, 11:16 AM.
              www.deex.info

Comment

This is an option, too, but we'll have to duplicate all the UI for the attributes.
                V-Ray developer

Comment

i like your idea bigbossfr

and to have object iDs for sets there should be a way to override IDs only for specified renderelements.
                  maya set <--> object iD <--> multimatte
                  Last edited by FSGFX; 28-08-2014, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X