No announcement yet.

vrayStandin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eventually it will be in the nightlies, yes. However I uploaded an initial version of the VRayScene node for V-Ray 3.0 for Maya 2014 for Windows here:
    https://ftp.chaosgroup.com/vlado/vra...e_for_maya.rar

It allows you to load a full .vrscene along with all objects and materials and treat it as one single object in Maya. The .vrscene may come from any application that can export them (Max/Maya/C4D/Rhino/Sketchup/Modo etc).

Internally this uses an Instancer to instance the .vrscene objects at the needed locations, any rules applying to the Instancer apply to the VRayScene node.

This is still very much WIP, but if you can give it a try and give us some feedback, it will be very helpful.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Forgot to reply to this. We are on linux and maya 2014 extension.

Cheers,
      Erik

Comment

Any news on this feature?

// Erik

Comment

Andrey just pushed to the nightlies today, so if all goes well, it will be in the next nightly builds.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Hi,
            I'm curious about this feature too.
            Are there any news on this? And is this feature (VRayStandin) coming to 3dsmax as well?
            Best regards,
            Akira

Comment

It's been in the Maya nightlies for months now. It's also in V-Ray for Nuke. It will make it to 3ds Max too at some point - just need to make sure it is stable enough.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,
                thank You for the quick answer. I really appreciate it.
                Looking forward to the 3dsmax version with VRayStandin...
                Best regards,
                Akira

Comment

Will it be possible to extract the materials of the vrscene for editing and modification as well?

Best regards,
                  Akira

Comment

Originally posted by Akira View Post
                    Will it be possible to extract the materials of the vrscene for editing and modification as well?
                    Nope. Shading networks between applications are not really compatible... Some basic import functionality could probably be implemented, but as we've seen so far it's really a very tricky job. Maybe in the future something like MDL will be a better way to transport materials between applications.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Yeah, really wish the implementation of MDL can bring transferring materials across apps much easier with consistent looks..
                      always curious...

Comment

So we started looking at this and I wonder if there is any way to do an "Export Selection" to .vrscene. It would be a lot easier than exporting the whole scene and having to disable the things you do not wan't included.

Something along the lines of vrayCreateProxy but for vrscene files.

-- Erik
                        Last edited by GoodbyeKansas; 26-02-2016, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Maybe we could have sets with an inclusive/exclusive function for this?

Comment

You can either use batch rendering with the -exportSpecific option, or from the Maya UI, there is an option in the Render View > Render > Render selected objects only (there's probably a way to toggle this from MEL/Python, but I'm not sure what it is).

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Didn't even think of render selected objects. We got most things setup now and last question is how to get the multimattes smoothly transfered from the lookdev scene to the scene where we render.
                              The multimatte ids seems to be stored in the in the vrscene as if we create a new multi matte render element in the scene we render from and put in the ids they get outputted correctly.

Can we parse the vrscene somehow to get the id's and recreate the render element? Did some searches in the docs but couldn't find anything.

Overall this is such a great feature. Makes our life a million times easier. One very nice thing is that the comp artists can also bring the whole shebang in and easily render some element that they feel is missing from the lighting guys.

If someone finds this thread by searching:
                              import maya.cmds as mc
                              #render selected on
                              mc.optionVar(iv=('renderViewRenderSelectedObj', 1))
                              #render selected off
                              mc.optionVar(iv=('renderViewRenderSelectedObj', 0))
                              -- Erik

Comment

Adding on to the feature requests it would be great to be able to put VRaySceneNode into a new vrscene. Currently this errors and says not supported.

-- Erik

Comment

Working...
                                X