No announcement yet.

Saving Multichannel exr from the VFB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving Multichannel exr from the VFB...

Hi Guys,

This is a small thing, but it would be a nice workflow improvement if it were possible to save out a multichannel exr from the VFB. I vaguely remember seeing a post about this before, but I haven’t been able to find it. Is there a reason this is technically not possible?

I know you can save out all of the render element channels separately from the VFB, but that’s less desirable if you are planning to go into Nuke and prefer a multichannel exr. Alternatively, in Maya, I know if you keep the “Don’t save image (ignore in batch mode) off,” Maya will save out a multichannel exr after each render. However, if you are rendering many iterations of large images, particularly with many render elements, 16 or 32 bit, waiting for each iteration to save out between renders can take frustratingly long. So it seems like saving a single multichannel exr from the VFB once you are satisfied with the render, would be quite handy.

Cheers,
    David
    David M. Foster

This is already implemented in the latest builds - the "save" button is a flyout that allows you to choose between saving the current channel, all channels in separate files, or all channels in a single multi-channel file.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Brilliant. Thanks Vlado!
      David M. Foster

Comment

no options for choosing single or multi-channel EXR

Hi, I am running the nightly build of 12-24-2014 on Maya and didn't see the option for choosing current channel, all channels in separate files, or all channels in a single multi-channel file mentioned by Vlado.

I clicked the "disk" icon at the top row of VFB and here is what I got. After choosing OpenEXR and saving, I check the saved EXR, it only has RGBA. Did I miss something?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	vfb.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	854951
        always curious...

Comment

You just have to press and hold for a second the icon and a dropdown will appear for you to choose what to save.

Best regards,
          Georgi Zhekov
          Georgi Zhekov
          Phoenix Product Manager
          Chaos

Comment

Thanks, Georgi. Didn't realize that I need to hold the button.
            always curious...

Comment

Working...
            X