default render settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• default render settings

Here are some changes that I think could be good to have as defaults in the render settings:

Vray common:
    don't save image: ON (default is OFF)
    saving the file to disc takes time, so enabling this speeds things up a lot
    animation: standard (default is disabled)
    render only in batch mode: ON (default is OFF)

Vray tab:
    render viewport subdivison: ON (default is OFF)

Settings tab:
    Max subdivs: 4 (default is 256)
    this also really speeds up things
    Last edited by sharktacos; 07-02-2016, 10:49 PM.

You can also save vray preset and just load that.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Hi Dmitry. I work as an educator, so while I am aware of presets, and use them myself, I also work regularly with people who are new to Vray.

The above settings, I have found, are some things that always trip them up, and IMHO it would be nice for new users if the Render Settings just already were set in the best way by default (I'm sure the Chaos folks would agree )

Comment

Originally posted by sharktacos View Post
        Hi Dmitry. I work as an educator, so while I am aware of presets, and use them myself, I also work regularly with people who are new to Vray.

The above settings, I have found, are some things that always trip them up, and IMHO it would be nice for new users if the Render Settings just already were set in the best way by default (I'm sure the Chaos folks would agree )
        The problem is every one want some different "default settings".
        For example, me, i want the render viewport subdivison OFF by default.
        www.deex.info

Comment

yeah same here. I also don't really agree with gi being on by default.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:

Comment

but,
            " Max subdivs: 4 (default is 256)"

would be really great

Comment

Originally posted by bigbossfr View Post
              The problem is every one want some different "default settings".
              For example, me, i want the render viewport subdivison OFF by default.
              Sure. That's why we are on a forum so we can discuss and hopefully come up with a consensus that most folks like.

I have to say, I don't really get why you would want viewport subdivison OFF. If you don't want viewport subdivs just don't use them in Maya. All the render settings do is say to Vray "IF viewport subdivs are on for a model, don't just ignore that when you render". Perhaps you could explain your reasoning?

Comment

We never use viewport subdivs during rendering because I believe its not using the same subdiv method as if you used vray subdivision. Further the viewport subdiv is not efficient when you have large models so why would you have it on in the first place? Render time subdivision is exactly that. Viewport subdivision should be using for modeling / checking smoothing of the meshes nothing more.
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:

Comment

It is the same microtriangle view-dependent subdivision that we use when you add the V-Ray subd attributes. Although we might switch to OpenSubdiv at some point.

The reason it is off by default is because it turned out that users recklessly turn viewport subdivision on for large portions of their scene and then wonder why things render slow or take up a lot of RAM.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    It is the same microtriangle view-dependent subdivision that we use when you add the V-Ray subd attributes. Although we might switch to OpenSubdiv at some point.

The reason it is off by default is because it turned out that users recklessly turn viewport subdivision on for large portions of their scene and then wonder why things render slow or take up a lot of RAM.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    setting the subdivsions to 4 instead of 256 would help that. I think that would be good, even if it were off by default.

Comment

I've got to chip in with a "please no!" I'm afraid. The very first request of "don't save image: ON (default is OFF) " would cause serious headaches here. It's an easy thing to miss, and has caused massive time loss for us in the past (farm rendering a whole series over weekends only to find it rendered, but never saved the frames, DOH)

Comment

Originally posted by ricoholmes View Post
                        I've got to chip in with a "please no!" I'm afraid. The very first request of "don't save image: ON (default is OFF) " would cause serious headaches here. It's an easy thing to miss, and has caused massive time loss for us in the past (farm rendering a whole series over weekends only to find it rendered, but never saved the frames, DOH)

The option's full name is "don't save image (ignored in batch mode)" so having this on would not affect a batch render on a farm.

Comment

Tell that to Standalone or Renderpal (not sure which is the cause). It happens, believe me.

Comment

I think settings to default values would help in terms of vray aa/minor settings and gi. But general settings affecting overall scene and output defaults should be changed with user presets IMO
                            Last edited by snivlem; 22-02-2016, 04:56 PM.
                            Maya 2020/2022
                            Win 10x64
                            Vray 5

Comment

I have "don't save image: ON" ticked on all of the time and never had any issues. We're using renderpal, but not vray standalone. But just keep it as it is, I'd say!

Comment

Working...
                              X