Features I'd love to see added to the VFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features I'd love to see added to the VFB

Like a lot of other commenters here, I find it inconvenient to still have to keep the Maya render view open to access some features missing from the VFB, as well as some within the render settings themselves that might be better put into the VFB.

In particular, I find myself constantly having to access these features:

From render view:

* Test resolution
    * Render selected object only

From render settings:

* Don't save image
    * Enabling and disabling render elements

I'd like to see controls for all of these elements incorporated right into the VFB.

The best would be to give the possibility to hack the QT UI...
    Last time i did some reverse engine to hack it and add my custom UI inside. But it can be great if this is something "official" ^^
    www.deex.info

Comment

Some of these have been requested couple times. I personally want to see the "Test resolution" to be added the most. With that I can pretty much keep the Maya Render View closed completely. It still bothers me a bit every time Maya Render View pops up and gone and the VFB stop button is suffering UI refreshing issue to not always reflect the correct status. I didn't experience this kind of behavior when testing out other renderers that have their own frame buffer window. Hope devs here can finally sort this out and address that.
      always curious...

Comment

Yes, I noticed Arnold in 2017 doesn't pop up the native render viewer.

I agree with the OP - those options would make V-Ray the perfect framebuffer for Maya.

The only things I'd add (I'm sure all this is on their list though)

1) Select materials from VFB
        2) Smooth scaling / Fit to window (so no increments of 10,25,50,75% etc..)

The IPR button alone has made it much more effecient, I never used IPR as much as I do now.
        Maya 2020/2022
        Win 10x64
        Vray 5

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
          Yes, I noticed Arnold in 2017 doesn't pop up the native render viewer.

I agree with the OP - those options would make V-Ray the perfect framebuffer for Maya.

The only things I'd add (I'm sure all this is on their list though)

1) Select materials from VFB
          2) Smooth scaling / Fit to window (so no increments of 10,25,50,75% etc..)

The IPR button alone has made it much more effecient, I never used IPR as much as I do now.
          IIRC from previous Vlado comments, some features might be considered to be added to new VFB in development (don't quote me). Still, agree with snivlem, would love to see the abilities to select materials from VFB and do object/material based isolated rendering.
          always curious...

Comment

I'm sure you already know but just in case FWIW you can do object based isolated rendering through render masks / object ids
            Maya 2020/2022
            Win 10x64
            Vray 5

Comment

Originally posted by snivlem View Post
              I'm sure you already know but just in case FWIW you can do object based isolated rendering through render masks / object ids
              I was referring to isolating rendering of the selection (ojbect or material based selection) in VFB during IPR. For example, if material based selection is activated, you pick an object in VFB, the corresponding material will show up in the Attribute Editor and Vray will mask out everything except objects that are assigned with that material. Or isolate rendering based on selection done in the Node Editor or Hypershade. But this is probably out of the scope of VFB features...

Recently came across this viewport render utility http://lesterbanks.com/2015/12/slib-...redshift-free/
              Like some of the features in it.
              always curious...

Comment

There's some pretty nice features in there, but if I'm not mistaken Redshift is a GPU based renderer, so some of those features are definitely likely to be out of scope for the VFB. In the short term I'd really just like to see some of these repetitive workflow irritants addressed, i.e. not having to go to render settings to turn passes/render elements on and off all the time, which I sometimes find myself doing 50 times a day.

Comment

Working...
                X