checkbox to enable variance sampling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checkbox to enable variance sampling

Currently, in older scenes the variance-based adaptive sampling introduced in Vray 3.3 is disabled. It can be turned on with a MEL command
    Code:
    [I]setAttr vraySettings.dmcAdaptiveMethod 1; [/I]
    , but that's pretty non-intuitive.

It would great if there was either a checkbox in the Render Settings to enable this, or alternatively if it would just be enabled automatically when "Use Local Subdivs" was un-checked.

I understand why folks may want to have older scenes render unchanged, where they have "Use Local Subdivs" on. I however can't think of a situation where someone would want to have "Use Local Subdivs" off, but not want variance-based adaptive sampling on. So I would personally prefer the automatic option.

Good idea?

Yes, you are right, it's a bit unwieldy to have to set attributes via script, but we specifically didn't want to expose this in the interface. And I can't think of a good way to do this right now without adding more clutter to the UI.
    V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

My humble suggestion then would be to just make it so the vraySettings.dmcAdaptiveMethod is automatically turned on when the "Use Local Subdivs" is unchecked. That way there is no change to the GUI, and it works as expected.

Comment

Working...
      X