Track Cursor While Rendering behaves the same in Render and IPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Cursor While Rendering behaves the same in Render and IPR

When rendering with progressive sampler and 'Track Mouse While Rendering' enabled, when the cursor is outside the bounds of the VFB (or user is in another app), the whole image is sampled.
    This is the ideal behavior for me.

When interactive rendering and 'Track Mouse While Rendering' enabled, the last position of the cursor is rendered and not the whole image. See attached sample rate pass for visual explanation in interactive.

Thanks,

Jens
    Win 10 x64, V-Ray for Maya version 3.60.01, revision 27610 from Aug 15 2017

Hm, will see what can be done about it. To make sure I understand, you want the mouse tracking algorithm to be used only when the VFB is the active window and the mouse is inside it?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hmm, upon testing this again I can't get the progressive render to work as I thought it was working. I think the ideal behavior would be that 'Track Mouse While Rendering' works regardless of what app has focus, but automatically turns off when the cursor is not in the VFB's bounds.

This would fix the issue shown in the image above, where the edges of the frame end up getting all the sampling when the cursor is off the VFB.

Comment

Modo's preview renderer also has another interesting feature when tracking mouse for sampling. Once the area under the cursor has hit the maximum quality threshold, the samples no longer go to the cursor area and instead refine the entire image until rendering completes or the user moves the mouse to a new area to focus sampling.

This is an intuitive way of weighting render quality where the user specifies and then refining the image to final without the user needing to toggle 'Track mouse while rendering' on and off.

Comment

Agree! Thanks jensl for requesting this feature. Vlado, please consider adding it to Vray for Maya.
          always curious...

Comment

Working...
          X