more control from Light Selects, like Redshifts per light AOVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more control from Light Selects, like Redshifts per light AOVs

Would be great if Light Selects worked like Redshifts new per light AOVs, which give all the different passes needed to recreate the RGB on a per light bases, as well as the sum for each type of pass. Pretty much what I always wanted/ expected from Vrays Light Selects.

Without that control they are basically unusable to me so instead I make separate render layers in maya for my separate lights, that way I get all the passes I really need/ am used to (Refraction, Reflection, Specular, GI, Diffuse). Doing this through render layers is really not optimal though and would be much better handled through a render element.

Something like this would be great-

LightSelect1_Diffuse
    LightSelect1_GI
    LightSelect1_Reflection
    LightSelect1_Refraction
    LightSelect1_Specular

Instead of just one element for the Full Light select or the currently available 'Direct Specular/ Diffuse/ Raw/ Illumination'.

How Redshift is handling this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofjaaU1uAw

We are working on implementing full light path expressions as part of the light select element for later in the year, which will give you these and many other possibilities not available in Redshift. Also, keep in mind that the V-Ray light select element works correctly with the light cache, whereas Redshift requires you to use brute force always.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
      We are working on implementing full light path expressions as part of the light select element for later in the year, which will give you these and many other possibilities not available in Redshift. Also, keep in mind that the V-Ray light select element works correctly with the light cache, whereas Redshift requires you to use brute force always.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      vlado Excited to hear this! I read about the implementation of LPE in other threads here but didn't know the time frame. Look forward to that.
      always curious...

Comment

awesome!! can't wait Also, I didn't know that about Redshifts per light aovs requires Brute Force.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Excellent! What we have done so far is have light select manually setup a number of times (not gi) to output diffuse and specular separately. It increases the render time though quite a bit, so I hope with your implementation the render time hit will be minimal?
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
            It increases the render time though quite a bit, so I hope with your implementation the render time hit will be minimal?
            I hope so

Best regards,
            Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
            X