Vray render elements/ Maya Layers/ EXR.multi layer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray render elements/ Maya Layers/ EXR.multi layer

i asked about this some time ago but i got a response from tech support that said Vray doesn't come with that.

i made a photoshop'd pic, which i will upload later am in a rush today.

(yea finally got to post, 'hello world')

Comment

Could you elaborate a bit more on this, please? I can't fully understand what to look at from the screenshots. Thanks in advance.
      Alex Yolov
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
      www.chaos.com

Comment

well, currently there is Not a option for "maya layers" in the render elements, which is a problem because when you have to add a separate shadow layer this means you have to add
        a second .exr image which is about 1gig/ea., which in a video with 200,000 frames equals literally 100 terabytes of storage, and this in turn costs about $6,000.- therefore a small shop
        like mine could save 6 grand a year, and a large studio like MGM would probably be in the millions.

Comment

Do you mean you want to store all frames in one multichannel EXR file or something like that? I'm still not sure I fully understand the question.
          Thanks.
          Alex Yolov
          Product Manager
          www.chaos.com

Comment

yes i can see how that would be confusing to a programmer. from an artist point of view it seems simple, but B does look like 8 to a computer.

so... i would like to create a capsule in the .EXR which has the render elements from the 2nd and 3rd (so on) layers from maya. with a name starting with the 'layer' and then the 'render elements'
            of course it should have the R G and B channels from the master layer, and the Alpha channel. but also 'matte', 'motion blur' etc... so for starts the RGBA and then render elements.

of course i could just render out a separate file for each render layer as people do now, even some use 'maya software or hardware or vector' render engines to render other layers. but that would cause it to have a header and file name and table of contents and so on, and when you have 100 terabyte project every megabyte counts.

it seems tedious to me when i just need an alpha channel for a shadow layer. or separate animation layers for different avatars with a matte, to print out a totally separate folder and file and
            then further down the pipeline in the compositing stage a separate node tree for blending, again adding extra megabytes on the processor and ram. which if you are familiar with Nuke gets pretty intense when working with 4k and 100 layers.

sorry if my grammar and vocabulary is not as good as a scripter. just ask if you want to know more about my idea

bob

Comment

I can see how that could come handy, but I'm afraid it's not possible. A separate image file is created for each render layer and for each frame of that layer (if there's animation). It's how Maya works.

You could disable every render layer but the one you need. Even if you only need the alpha, there an option to not save the RGB channel, so for a particular render layer you can disable all but one render element, and for another render layer - you can disable all render layers + disable the RGB and just get the alpha. But it will again result in a separate image file and there's no way around it.
              Alex Yolov
              Product Manager
              www.chaos.com

Comment

so you can't write a script that puts the separate layer in an envelope of the master layer, and set a render override for the render elements you want? like a post operation of the render process, so the render engine renders 3 passes and then stacks the elements together in a single .EXR

Comment

You can try using the DWAA and DWAB compression types for EXR - they should save you quite some storage space. The option is in the Render Settings > Common tab > Image Format Options (button) > EXR compression type.

Otherwise, it's not that simple and I think that this is fundamentally impossible. It's just not how Maya works. V-Ray can't access what's on one render layer, while Maya is telling it to render a different one. Think of render layers as separate scenes - they can contain different geometry and so on. That's (roughly) how V-Ray and other renderers treat them and accessing such information is only possible during rendering, which is, as I understand, too late for what you need to happen.

You can use the render layer overrides to disable the undesired render elements per layer.
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

yea... don't know much about .exr extensions, but i thought it should be possible to add new layers like a PSD in photoshop.

Comment

this is not exactly what i was thinking... but i guess it could be tinkered into a post process

https://www.exr-io.com/

https://youtu.be/SIxOIFOz1SE

Comment

originally i found this problem when my buddy who does not cg at all
                        asked me about making a shadow for the truck i was debugging nuke with.

after i researched it i found that making a shadow in vray was a complicated process, which required a separate render layer. i thought this was a waste to make an entirely different image file and folder
                        just for a shadow. also this could become complicated in a scene with multiple character shadows, which i will probably find shortly in my classroom scene with 20 some students and 9 lites. each student will probably need its own render layer, plus adjoining shadow.

i probably should have asked how to make a shadow easier, but i can think of other instances when adding a separate render layer to a .exr layer would be nice.

Comment

looking at a photoshop scripting code in java, to Batch the process. #keyword: merge_multiple photos_by \filename.###.ext

may make a tut on this. to fix my shadow quandary

Comment

i did this a few months ago but i had to travel and left it stumped. i think this would be a useful script, too bad i don't have a better knowledge of scripting i could probably skip EXR-IO all together.

i guess this would not only solve my shadow problem but also other issues with compositing like adding all assets into a single .exr for a model before sending it to another department.

will keep in touch.

thanks Chaos group

Comment

hmm... got stuck on the script and went on to something else

although this only adds crypto-mattes... still stumped.

https://www.exr-io.com/autolayermaks-script-production-boost/

https://youtu.be/VCasmKdRLc4

at least great minds think alike...

did the exact same thing with pbr's last week.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...1-spec-solve-1

been doing:
                              https://www.deviantart.com/duhuhhuh/...Bull-802243072
                              Last edited by bobtype1; 12-09-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X