Render outputs/elements and anti-aliasing performance issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render outputs/elements and anti-aliasing performance issue

It turns out I made a big mistake when exporting MODO's render outputs to V-Ray render elements.
    I used MODO's "Antialias" channel on the Render output item to determine whether the render element should be considered towards the noise threshold of the Image sampler.
    Since the "Antialias" channel is enabled for all new render outputs, this meant that V-Ray would try to anti-alias all of them.
    This leads to very long render times, if you use a very high value for the "Max subdivs" parameter of the Image sampler.

This is fixed for tomorrow's nightly build ( 2015-08-28 ), the "Antialias" channel will be ignored on all render outputs, except the following:
    - masked alpha (for these you need to enable "Anti-alias masked render outputs" in the Image Sampler options as well)
    - shadow density (this is called matte shadow in V-Ray)
    - reflection occlusion

I might need to allow anti-aliasing on a few more of the Render outputs from the "Geometry" group, but I am not sure which ones might actually need it.

The build from (2015-08-27) also has a new button in the "V-Ray Toolbox" that pop-ups a layout, where you can quickly create/enable/disable/delete the render output items in the scene.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help
Working...
X