.vrscene import command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .vrscene import command

The nightly builds folder from today (2015.09.12) has a new build (26244) with a new command called "vray.vrscene.import" (you can find it in the V-Ray menu and tool-box, right below the create proxy command),
    which is able to import a .vrscene file into MODO items.

This is an initial version so it has a lot of limitations, but hopefully it can still be useful.
    I've tested mainly with .vrscene files exported from 3ds Max. .vrscene files exported from Maya won't work most likely.

Here are some notes:

- Geometry import
    - Only triangular meshes are imported (no V-Ray proxy, meshes with sub-division or displacement);

- If the mesh has a shear transformation it will be ignored ( I don't know how to set this type of transformation in the MODO locator;

- The UV channel with index 1 from 3ds Max is named "Texture". All the rest are called vrscene_map_X, where X is the channel index.
    UV channels from Maya should have the same names as in Maya.

- Meshes are imported as "Static Mesh", so they are made of only triangles. It seems some parts of the MODO code don't work correctly with static meshes, for example :
    - right clicking a mask in the shader tree and selecting "Select polygons" won't work;
    - when a new texture is created, its texture locator is set to "Cubic" as if the geometry in the scene has no UV maps;
    Both of these problems can be fixed by selecting all imported geometry, right clicking on it and selecting Convert -> Mesh. This will also allow you to assign new materials to them;

- the scene scale is wrong, the .vrscene file DOES contain information about the real-world scale of objects, but if I fix geometry scale, I also need to fix all parameters that are in world units
    (like ambient occlusion/dirt texture distance, reflection dim distance, etc...) so it is not trivial;

- Light import
    Didn't have time for this, so only Rectangular Portal lights are imported, nothing else.

- Material/texture import
    Standard materials from 3ds Max are NOT imported, as well as the V-Ray material when exported from V-Ray for Maya (as the export code there creates a more complex representation of the material).
    I've tested importing the following materials, exported from V-Ray for 3ds Max:
    - V-Ray Material
    - fog color is not imported correctly because it depends on scene scale;
    - use environment override is imported as unchecked, as V-Ray for 3dsMax/Maya don't export it;
    - V-Ray 2-Sided Material
    - V-Ray Blend Material
    - the sub-materials and their textures get added in the Shader Tree, but the actual connections are made in the Schematic, as the exporter doesn't allow this type of setup yet.
    I did it like this, so the base material's diffuse texture can be seen in MODO's OpenGL view-port;
    - V-Ray FastSSS2
    - V-Ray Light Material
    - V-Ray Override
    - V-Ray Skin

Bump mapping is imported but only from a bump map (not normal map) and the bump amount is probably wrong.

I've also added UI for a few more textures from the V-Ray SDK that get exported from V-Ray for 3ds Max.

Object properties (visibility to reflection/refraction/etc.) and V-Ray Object Propeties (GI mult., matte surface, alpha contribution, etc.) are not imported, but it shouldn't be hard to do add them later on.

UV mapping import is very basic. Only 3ds Max's "Explicit Map Channel" mode is supported, and only some of its parameters. UV mapping from Maya won't be imported at all.

- Render settings import
    Most render settings are imported EXCEPT:
    - environment
    - render elements

Note that V-Ray for 3ds Max doesn't export the AA filter, and probabilistic lights, so these can't be imported from a .vrscene file created in V-Ray for 3ds Max yet.

- Camera import
    - The camera position and FOV, as well as physical camera settings are imported;

- Standard DOF (without physical camera), film fit, physical camera focus distance are not imported, so if you have DOF on a physical camera you will need to fix the focus distance;

The import command will write various warnings in the Event Log, so you can take a look at it for more information.
    I am on vacation next week, and will be back on 2015.09.23. I hope you can still find the import command useful until then.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Here is one scene that I tested with, I imported it, added a spherical light and rendered it without any other modifications.
    The film fit is wrong so the horizontal FOV is not the same as the one in the original scene.
    The original scene is a free tutorial scene from the Evermotion site and can be downloaded here:
    http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/...interior-scene

Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	858301

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Here is another tutorial scene that I imported and rendered without modifications. The original scene had some lights, but even without them, it rendered relatively ok.
      Here is the link to the tutorial : http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mo...art-1--cg-4486

Name:	bedroom2.jpg
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	858302

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev

Comment

A few more from Archinteriors 37 from Evermotion, you can see some bugs in both the geometry and material import.
        I rendered all scenes with just the light from MODO's default environment, but with increased intensity and also some exposure post-processing to increase the light level.

Name:	AI33_02.jpg
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	858303

Name:	AI33_03.jpg
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	858304

Name:	AI33_04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	858305

Name:	AI33_05.jpg
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	858306

Name:	AI33_10.jpg
Size:	503.6 KB
ID:	858307

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Thanks Vladimir, I cant wait to test this on Monday!

Comment

Hi Vladimir

I tested this very quickly and seems to work nice. I have 2 quick comments (Scenes exported out of max 2015)

1. If the object in max have a multi sub material with vray materials linked to it, the materials does not export. I assume that is because max default materials are not supported. Will you be able to add the vray materials if they are in a sub object?
            2. the x and z axes are flipped. Not a big issue....just convenience

Comment

This looks great Vladimir, can't wait to give it a proper test.

And even if there are a few glitches, it's still far superior to stripping everything down for FBX, and then rebuilding in Modo.

The place that I see this being the most useful is as an import tool for individual assets such as those in Evermotion's Archmodels collections. If it can cope with full scenes too that's the icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
                The nightly builds folder from today (2015.09.12) has a new build (26244) with a new command called "vray.vrscene.import" (you can find it in the V-Ray menu and tool-box, right below the create proxy command),
                which is able to import a .vrscene file into MODO items.

This is an initial version so it has a lot of limitations, but hopefully it can still be useful.
                I've tested mainly with .vrscene files exported from 3ds Max. .vrscene files exported from Maya won't work most likely.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev
                Fantastic news and work, Vladimir! This is making me very happy.

How do you get access to the nightly builds? I would love to test this on some of my scenes from Evermotion too.

Comment

Originally posted by jonmoore View Post
                  This looks great Vladimir, can't wait to give it a proper test.

And even if there are a few glitches, it's still far superior to stripping everything down for FBX, and then rebuilding in Modo.

The place that I see this being the most useful is as an import tool for individual assets such as those in Evermotion's Archmodels collections. If it can cope with full scenes too that's the icing on the cake.
                  Hi Jon...

Exactly. This is a pretty huge development and big deal for those of us who would like to use MODO for Arch Viz.

PS: I think we two touched on this subject on the 3ds Max vs MODO thread over at The Foundry forum.

Best regards,
                  Nils Wille Christoffersen

Comment

Originally posted by WilleViz View Post
                    How do you get access to the nightly builds? I would love to test this on some of my scenes from Evermotion too.
                    Hurray! I got access today, so now I'm going to test it out for sure. I'll kind a keep eye on how well materials move over and report back.

Comment

First of all, awesome work so far!

I have run into an issue with an Evermotion file were a curtain has a bitmap to control opacity (and bump), but the bitmap is not imported/recognized at all.

Anyway, I just tried to use a VRmat instead, and now it works correctly, so maybe it is related to the VrayBlend material?

I have attached screen shots of the original Vray mat i Max and two from MODO.

PS: While it looks like there might be more than one bitmap used, that is not the case. There is only one, and it got exported with the VRmat.

PPS: I'm running the vray_beta_30101_modo nightlies from 09 17.

Name:	vrscene.jpg
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	858345Click image for larger version

Name:	vray_mat.png
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	858346Click image for larger version

Name:	vrmat.png
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	858347

Best regards, Nils Wille Christoffersen

Comment

Hello, Nils

I found a possible cause for this. It happens here if I have the Use Color Map option of the Bitmap map (it's in the Options rollout) in 3ds max enabled and then export the .vrscene and import it in Modo. Is this your case?
                        Thank you!

Best regards,
                        Margarita
                        Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
                        Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Originally posted by Margarita.Stoeva View Post
                          Hello, Nils

I found a possible cause for this. It happens here if I have the Use Color Map option of the Bitmap map (it's in the Options rollout) in 3ds max enabled and then export the .vrscene and import it in Modo. Is this your case?
                          Thank you!

Best regards,
                          Margarita
                          Hi Margarita...

Thanks for your quick reply.

That is a very good question, because I'm no expert in Vray (Yet!), so I feel ashamed to admit that I cant find that option. I have attached two screen shots that might give you an idea.

This is from an evermotion file, so that is the reason I'm not 100% clear on how this material was designed.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi!

Thank you for the images! I see the option enabled in the second screenshot - in the Options rollout for map #4832 "Use Color Map". If you disable it and export the .vrscene then the map should be there in the Shader tree on import in Modo. If not, we'll be happy to get this scene for further investigation.
                            Anyway, this is something we need to fix. I logged it in our bug tracking system already thanks to you.
                            If you have any more issues feel free to share.

Best regards,
                            Margarita
                            Margarita Stoeva | chaos.com
                            Chaos QA (V-Ray for 3ds Max)

Comment

Will we be able to export a vrscene from Modo to use in Max? I'd love to be able to do that at the office.

Comment

Working...
                              X