Denoiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denoiser

I've added UI for the denoiser that was implemented for the next versions of V-Ray for 3ds Max/Maya.
    It is in today's nightly builds ( 2016.06.01 ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	denoiser_settings.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	884680

In order to use it, you must enable it BEFORE rendering, as it creates a number of render elements that are needed for the denoising algorithm.
    After rendering with denoising enabled, an "Update..." button will appear. You can change the denoising type/preset/strength/radius and hit "Update..." to have the image denoised with the new settings.

Here is a quick test.

Original render

Name:	raw.jpg
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	884681

Denoised with preset=default

Name:	default_denoise.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	884682

Denoised with preset=strong

Name:	strong_denoise.png
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	884683

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM.
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Just wanted to write that it doesn't work but it does - you have to switch VFB to "RGB color denoised". Could it switch vfb automaticaly to denoised output after image was denoised?
    makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

If find it useful to have both images. It can be used to bring back detail, such as subtile bump map.. that is currently killed by the effect.

Comment

Hey this is pretty cool!
        Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
        I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
          If find it useful to have both images. It can be used to bring back detail, such as subtile bump map.. that is currently killed by the effect.
          I agree with that - didn't propose removing original image but only showing denoised version on top by default.
          makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by kubbek View Post
            I agree with that - didn't propose removing original image but only showing denoised version on top by default.
            Yes, I thought about this too and maybe we'll do that...

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Name:	Denoise.RGB_color_denoised.jpg
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	862297
              Impressive result for a 2 Minute rendering
              Really love this new feature and how it's implemented. Was playing around in the past with Altus' Denoise-Tool but price and workflow kept me using it as tool for my pipeline, even with the included MAYA plugin. As mentioned before, you have to be careful using it when having subtile bump-maps but it's quality vs. speed like in every setting.
              For me: I'm pretty impressed and can't wait for VRay4MODO to be released
              Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
              Radetzkystrasse 102 a
              A-6845 Hohenems
              Austria

Comment

I must agree! That denoiser is the best invention since sliced bread!

Comment

One think I really would like to know. Would be technical possible to have the denoiser as a Nuke Node?
                  Same count for the Vray post effects like Lens Flair..

Comment

Yes, the guys that work on V-Ray for Nuke will be looking into a Nuke node for the denoiser.

Best regards
                    Vlado

Comment

I find denoiser very useful but I noticed two problems:

1. Denoiser doesn't work with lens effects - when you enable them they are visible only on rgb color channel and not on the rgb denoised

2. When denoiser controls are placed in the render tab and not in the framebuffer you have no chance to tweak the settings if you render with standalone - would be great to have this ability

All best,
                      Jakub
                      makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely fix the lens effects issue; will think about the Standalone case.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

I'm just playing around with denoising and noticed the lens effects still don't get applied to the denoised output.
                          Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
                          I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by 1funk View Post
                            I'm just playing around with denoising and noticed the lens effects still don't get applied to the denoised output.
                            We are working on fixing this for V-Ray 3.5.

Greetings,
                            Vladimir Nedev
                            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Working...
                            X