Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Group masked by multiple Texture Items

Hello,
    Please is there a way to mask a Material Group by using more than one texture item? The result I am trying to achieve is many graphic logos applied to different areas on a complex scene.

With no success, I tried the following - created a Material Group on top of the Shader Tree. I imported several b/w texture items to mask the material (planar projection). If I set all of the texture items as Layer Mask, only the top one masks the Group, as expected. Please is there a way to have several texture items in planar projection (not a UV unwrapped model) masking a single Material Group? I attached a Photoshopped image below to illustrate what I am trying to achieve here.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but there has to be a way to do this. Your help will be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Ondrej

Hey, Ondrej,

Thank you for the feedback. Can you check the alpha settings, this one should be set to "USE"? Also, add on top of the layer stack "Constant" texture.

Check the example video file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sLJ...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by boyan; 31-07-2019, 07:01 AM.
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

When you stack multiple textures with the layer mask effect, like in your screen-shot, each one acts as a layer mask for the one above it, so unexpected results happen.
      I've tried to match the Modo behavior in this case, and last I tested they did match.

If you want to combine layer masks, one way to do it is to set the effect to Driver A, combine them (for example by using the "Add" blend mode), and then use a gradient with input from "Driver A" and effect set to "layer mask".

Another solution is to use the V-Ray Layered texture. In this case you have to do the connections in the Schematic and put the textures in some disabled group under your material.
      In this case, the V-Ray Layered texture is set to the "Layer Mask" effect.

I am attaching a screen-shot of the first solution. The textures that have the "Driver A" effect also have their blend mode set to "Add" (the one at the bottom is set to "Normal").

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hi Boyan and Vladimir,

Thank you both for getting back to my post. I appreciate it a lot and I apologize for my late reply.

I just tried the technique using the Gradient as Layer Mask and Driver A effect and it works like a charm! Final result below (no PS this time).

It is huge help for my workflow, exactly what i was looking for. Many thanks again for your fast help.

Best regards,
        Ondrej

Comment

Working...
        X