Normal map projection (non-UV) and triplanes mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal map projection (non-UV) and triplanes mapping

Triplaner mapping seems not to do anything (no blending, no offsets etc.) when the Texture is set to procedural projection, such as cubic.
    It looks like the shader get ignored in that case.

Yes, it needs to be set to UV map, as the triplanar "creates" UVs and puts them there (dynamically while rendering).
    The UV map can be completely empty or not exist at all.

I have a logged issue to auto-switch (on export) to UV map projection for triplanar sub-textures.
    But again, it's a little complicated, because those textures can be used in other places too.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

The triplanes map was set to UV, just the input texture was set to Cubic. I guess you mean that.
      But thanks for logging the issue. Especially when working with triplaner node it is important to not have to create UVs first.

Comment

The triplanes map was set to UV, just the input texture was set to Cubic. I guess you mean that.
        Yes, sorry for the confusion. The Texture locator of the triplanar itself is ignored I think. It's just not possible to remove it from what I remember.

But thanks for logging the issue. Especially when working with triplaner node it is important to not have to create UVs first.
        You don't have to, you just need to select UV map as the projection.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I'd add to this that if V-Ray can make the input set to UV on the fly that would be awesome for my case where I am translating existing Modo native material to V-ray. Easy except I want to keep the Modo version as well, but for Modo I have the map set to cubic. So in this case I have to duplicate the input texture and set one to Uv and the other to cubic and assign the V-ray input texture to a direct V-ray material channel so that Modo native will ignore it.

Comment

I guess the problem is again the Modo SDK. As far as I know 3dsmax did export all box mapping as UV on the fly. While Modo seem to do that when rendering. Lets hope they fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              I guess the problem is again the Modo SDK. As far as I know 3dsmax did export all box mapping as UV on the fly. While Modo seem to do that when rendering. Lets hope they fix that.
              No, there is no issue with the SDK. I just don't have time to fix what Angus mentioned.
              You might have the same texture used both as input to V-Ray Triplanar and as a normal texture, which complicates this.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
              X