vray fur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray fur

How is Vray fur compared to Modo fur in terms of renderspeed and memory usage ?

In Modo fur i have a setting where i can place the strands absolute via a distance setting so the density stays always the same (for example good for different sized carpets with the same material), is there something like that in Vray fur ?
    www.ingoerikmoltzen.com

How is Vray fur compared to Modo fur in terms of renderspeed and memory usage ?
    Render speed should be similar or rather the same.
    Memory usage, I haven't made tests, so can't say.

Export speed however is instant with V-Ray Fur, while Modo Fur can take a while.

With V-Ray Fur the hairs will be generated at render time, while Modo Fur will be stored in the .vrscene file, which means starting a DR render can take longer, as the .vrscene file has to be sent to the slaves.

With Modo Fur, you have to enable the usage of Modo's render cache, which can lead to various issues.

In Modo fur i have a setting where i can place the strands absolute via a distance setting so the density stays always the same (for example good for different sized carpets with the same material), is there something like that in Vray fur ?
    We have a Level of detail option that can be used for this.
    See attached image.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hmm, i think there is a misunderstanding. In Modo you can tell not only the size of the strand in mm but also how far they are apart in mm, kind of an absolute scaling. In Vray fur i only have the setting per area, but i dont know what size that area has, squaremeter ? What i want is to have a VRay fur setting that is the same for different sized carpets, so on a carpet of 1m x 1m and a carpet on 4m x1,5m the density of the fur (placement of the strands) should be the same.
      www.ingoerikmoltzen.com

Comment

In Modo you can tell not only the size of the strand in mm but also how far they are apart in mm, kind of an absolute scaling
        Well, V-Ray Fur works differently.

In Vray fur i only have the setting per area, but i dont know what size that area has, squaremeter ?
        Yes, it's the number of hairs per square meter, it's mentioned in the tool-tip for this option.

so on a carpet of 1m x 1m and a carpet on 4m x1,5m the density of the fur (placement of the strands) should be the same.
        With the "per area" option the density will be the same. Naturally, the total number of hairs will be larger on the larger carpet.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Okay, thanks.
          www.ingoerikmoltzen.com

Comment

Working...
          X