Fast SSS: can't get rid of noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast SSS: can't get rid of noise

I'm rendering - or trying to render - a simple turnaround for a character using Modo 13 and Vray 3.6 (not Next). It is a female character with a long dress, both body and dress have a FastSSS material applied. The dress has self-intersecting parts at the belly area (folds, essentially several flattened torusses that intersect partially),which might be problematic, because a lot of noise especially happens in those areas. I'm rendering using the CUDA engine.

I'm having a really hard time with noise happening in the folds of the dress (thin, thickened geometry) that I am unable to eliminate completely, or I have to use really high render times + noise reduction, but even after 12+ minutes per frame (unacceptably long since I need to render an animation) the noise still is noticable.

Lighting involves an HDRI image and a directional light.

I would be really thankful for any hint on how to get clean renders with the FastSSS material, with acceptable render times. My colleague renders a character with similar materials in Maya/ Redshift on a comparable system (1080ti) and is able to get clean renders within ~4 minutes.

What parameters would I most likely have to tweak in order to achieve that?
    Last edited by ezekiel66; 17-01-2020, 01:39 PM.

Hey, ezekiel,

Thank you for the post. Can you show me the FastSSS material setup for both body and dress, or problematic area? If it is possible and Render settings/Render Elements and what render engine are used as well. When you wrote about the comparison is the result are comparable.

Cheers
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Working...
    X