Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Reflective Caustics - Is This Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Reflective Caustics - Is This Possible?

Hi

Im trying to get some reflective caustics from metal wheels like the ones in this image:

https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1520200627
    https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/pr...237d4cfc5c.jpg

I've attached the closest that I can get, but it's so blotchy and looks noisy.

As we can't see any caustics in the preview render I have to do a full render each time, making the whole process insanely slow to fine tune.

So far, Im using:

+ An area light to illuminate the side of the car in my scene, with 8000 caustics subdivs
    + Search distance of 10mm, max photons=0 and, multiplier = 3

I'd like to smooth out these to get something like the above examples if possible.

The model has real world dimensions.

Calling all caustics experts

Many thanks!

Like in my example from the other thread, you will probably get the best results with a "fake" light just for the caustics.
    This will allow you to concentrate the photons where you want them to create the caustic.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Hi Vladimir

Thanks for the reply - This is what I have in this set up - I just kept the car model, and shone a spotlight at it, and turned off 'affect diffuse' and 'affect specular'.

I used your settings from the example scene as a starting point, and set up 12 render tests on the cloud, experimenting with different search distances, and photons, and this is the closest I could get after half a day.

Is it possible to get anything close to the renders in the links above (presumably from Corona Renderer)?

If so - what do I need to tweak to get there? How do I remove the blotchy spots that appear everywhere?

Comment

You said you were using an area light with 8000 caustics subdivs ?
        Those should be on the spot light.

I don't know if the example renders can be achieved.

Corona has demo builds for 3ds Max and Cinema4D, which also have trials. Maybe you can try there.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Does modo have the direct visualisation checkbox for caustics? Brute force and layering in post is the only way we've made them work in production.

Comment

@Valdimir - yes, I had subdivs on the on the spot. Thanks - I may give a Cinema4D try with Corona demo for the next project. In the end, I found a caustics image and applied in post following the main lines the VRay caustics had set out.

Neilg - as far as I know you have to do a F9 render to see caustics on action too. I have done a brute force+caustics layer too previously.

I'd love to be able to get Corona quality results in my favourite VRay - hopefully possible in the future?

Comment

Working...
            X