V-Ray 5 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GidPDX View Post
    So we had next then 5! Keep with the numbers Chaos Group, we don't need you going all Xbox on us with naming conventions! LOL!
    Ahah, well, 5 is the next one to Next!
    Jokes aside, we went for the slightly odd naming because V-Ray Four For <insert hot app here> was a bit of a mouthful.
    We'll invent something else by the time v. fourteen comes. ^^
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Would really like to be able to use this streamlined version of scatter that's in 5.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2021/01/sne...-rays-vraymtl/

Still waiting on MODO getting 5.

Comment

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...eally-that-bad
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The best performance boost you get by splitting scenes up into passiv elements and the export these as vrscene. It incl. shading. Absolute non destructive and you can bring all together in your main scene, without hitting performance. Vray is a lot faster loading textures on render time then Modo. In my case it did load 1GB of textures in 10 sec.

Comment

Is there any news about Vray 5 for Modo? And any news about Modo 15 support?

Comment

My guess is that since Modo 15 has had extensive updates to bring internals up to Python 3 and QT5, which requires a lot of the 3rd party plug-in makers to update their programs to be compatible, Chaos will release something or give more info when the Foundry officially releases their update.

Comment

Well, I thought it was about time to pop in and ask if we can get any official statement about vray 5 for modo. Vray next is still being sold even though there is no support on modo 15, and its now a step away from its 2nd release (modo 15.1).

Would be just nice to know if its time for us to look somewhere else or keep polishing our skills onto this plugin.
                Last edited by Kion3D; 13-07-2021, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Yeah, its time since a long time. The silence actually ruin any of my else positiv feelings about chaos. Its a behavior that speaks for it selfs. Very much like Autodesk and Adobe does. Pure arrogance.

Comment

Seems less and less likely. At some point optimism becomes hope becomes delusion. One thing at least is crystal, and that is how little respect chaos has for its Modo customers.

Comment

Actually it wouldn't be so complicate to do for the developers. At least before Modo 15.0. The plugin does mainly just create a vrscene and send it to the vray render, either standalone or vfb. I tested opening a Modo exported vrscene in C4D and it did render perfect in V-Ray 5.
                      Of course a few newer option would need to be added to the UI, but thats surely not a hard work to do.
                      The adaption to Modo 15 lies mainly in adjusting to the new SDK and updated QT framework. And here Foundry did offered help. Again, no need to ignore us.
                      Its not even a huge investment for Chaos, indeed with 15 they would bring us into subscription anyway, and there quit a lot users. So for them its even a good business, especially if using Chaos Cloud rendering. When I look a the sum I and my clients spend there, it will be quite an impact once we all dropped V-Ray.
                      Actually I already dropped my V-Ray C4D license, because of that behavior.
                      However I have to say, that its not the first time Chaos did behave like that and also not the first time I dropped V-Ray. In 2009 the Modo render was faster and better for my work then V-Ray 1.5 with its slow V-Ray RT frame work. It felt so good I didn't believe ever to come back.
                      And so I'm currently looking intensive into CycleX and Octane. Who knows, maybe in a year we are happy to got rid of V-ray.

Comment

Yep...lack of communication. Don't know how long it took until camera movements were finally implemented into RT properly. Only thing I heard in the beginning was, that camera movements didn't trigger events that V-Ray RT could listen to. I can't remember how many times I have nudged FOUNDRY and CG to get things sorted out. It was in that state for nearly a year until finally someone found the time to ask someone at FOUNDRY how to make it work, and actually it wasn't that big of an issue and was fixed within day or two.
                        Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
                        Radetzkystrasse 102 a
                        A-6845 Hohenems
                        Austria

Comment

2 Months left to my MODO maintenance and I dont know if I should keep spending money over a software that doesn't support the renderer I have to use.

Any hope for someone willing to tell us if vray for modo is definitely dead or not? Next licenses are still sold even though Chaos Group is not supporting the latest 2 MODO updates, I know 'cause I bought a 2nd yearly license of vray for MODO a few months ago. As small as our community can be I doubt chaos group wants to play with their customers and have them buy a software that has been dropped, but you never really know and having someone from CG tell us if there are ANY plans for a vray 5 for us too would be appreciated.

Comment

I recently upgraded my Modo license, so I'm not in the same boat as you Kion3D. I love working in Modo, and V-Ray has been awesome, but even with an upgraded version of Modo, I'm still in 14.2 because v15 doesn't support V-Ray. So now I have the latest version of Modo that's just sitting there. So I get the frustration. My next option, since we heavily use Maya as well (all rigging and character animation), would be to use just move to V-Ray there, but honestly, I just really like working within Modo for all our modeling, look-dev, and lighting needs.

So I don't mind being patience with the V-Ray Modo development, but it would be nice to know if it has a future.

Comment

Something new here ?

Comment

Working...
                              X