Vray Blend Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Blend Material?

Greetings! I've been looking for the blend material and I didn't find it, is it missing or there's a different way to get it?

thanks in advance

The blend material is currently implemented to work the way it works in the modo renderer. You can find an explanation in this
    forum thread from the modo forums : http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/di...84626&p=762735

Basically you need to have one "Shader" item for each "Material" item you want to blend. The "Shader" item opacity and layer mask
    are the weight texture from the V-Ray Blend material.

This approach of using the shader tree makes it easier to add a coat layer to many items in the scene, each with possibly different sub-materials.
    It can be confusing though so we will probably add a separate method, where you set-up the blend material in the Schematic.

I am attaching a simple scene as an example. The sphere on the left has 4 different material layers, each with different reflection glossiness (or roughness as it is called in modo).

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Attached Files
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks Vladimir! very helpful! I see! Blending like this slows modo down quite a bit. I just made a test with 3 layers:

-red coat
      -clear coat
      -brushed metal (revealed by a mask)

Is it normal that it slows down so much in modo? in maya doesn't seem to affect that much

Comment

by the way, I've been running some tests. I guess unless you need to make specific change we don't need to create a shader item for each layer right? it doesn't seem to contribute at all, at least not in my test

Comment

Originally posted by Soth3dlife View Post
          Thanks Vladimir! very helpful! I see! Blending like this slows modo down quite a bit. I just made a test with 3 layers:

-red coat
          -clear coat
          -brushed metal (revealed by a mask)

Is it normal that it slows down so much in modo? in maya doesn't seem to affect that much
          V-Ray for MODO shouldn't be any slower than V-Ray for Maya in this case. The "Shader" items should be set
          to "Normal" blending mode, if you set them to "Add", it will be the same as checking "Additive mode" in the V-Ray
          blend material and this might slow down the render.

You can attach the scene so I can check if there is something wrong.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

by the way, I've been running some tests. I guess unless you need to make specific change we don't need to create a shader item for each layer right? it doesn't seem to contribute at all, at least not in my test
            The "Shader" items on top should have opacity < 1.0, otherwise the bottom layers won't be seen at all.

You can of course blend materials directly. I've seen it in a lot of MODO sample scenes. Basically having
            2 materials (V-Ray or not) with a layer mask on the top material. This will blend all the texture channels
            of the materials (they need to be of the same type) and make one final material from that. It is not the
            same as blending with Shaders though, as the lighting and reflections are computed only once. So you
            can't make a glossy material with some clear reflections on it. For this you need more than one Shader,

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

This is a clear coat on top of a painted coat. It works definetly. Although with this type of Look Development the Shader Tree can become a mess easily. It is pretty cool how easy is to setup. By The way, in terms of the Vray Bump Material what can we do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayTestBallsContactSheet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	494.0 KB
ID:	854146Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayTestBalls.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	854147
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Soth3dlife; 13-09-2014, 04:56 AM.

Comment

This is a clear coat on top of a painted coat. It works definetly. Although with this type of Look Development the Shader Tree can become a mess easily. It is pretty cool how easy is to setup. By The way, in terms of the Vray Bump Material what can we do?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20857[/ATTACH]
                The V-Ray Bump material is created when there is a texture layer set to the "Bump" or "Normal" texture effects.
                The "Texture layers" tab for each V-Ray material has the bump amplitude and the other bump mapping properties.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev

Comment

I meant more like the Vray Bump material. In Maya I used to use it after a blend material to plug a bump based on the mask of the blend material

Comment

I meant more like the Vray Bump material. In Maya I used to use it after a blend material to plug a bump based on the mask of the blend material
                    So the idea is to have the bump map change from one blended material to another, based on the blend amount texture of the blend material ?
                    I think the result will be the same if you let each material layer have its own bump map. In Maya it will be
                    material -> bump material \
                    --------------------------blend material
                    material -> bump material /

In MODO you just have one "bump" texture for each "Shader". There is also the "Clear previous bump" option in the "Texture layers" tab, which you can disable, if the bump maps are the same.

Might be a bit slower this way as the bump is computed twice. For MODO we will eventually implement the blend, 2sided and bump materials with nodal shading as well, but I am not sure
                    when this will happen.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

That's what I meant, it's good to know that. Thanks for answering

Comment

Working...
                      X