Vray fog and volumetrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray fog and volumetrics

Greetings! I was wondering if there's already a support for Vray Fog and volumetrics. I've tried to set it up by the Modo way but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks in advance!

I just saw the Vray Environment Fog. What about Volumetrics from the lights?

Comment

Ok, my fault, I didn't have a clear idea of how to set up volumetrics in Vray. I did two tests. Although I still don't understand very well the control over how this tool works but I'll figure it out.

I'm very happy with the performance. The asset is using two blend materials; one with a Blue Coat plus a Clear Coat, and the second one using this first blend material with a Chrome material for the scratches. I haven't tried to optimize the scenes properly and added a high amount of replicators, with 4 lights ( two areas, one spot and one Dome ) plus the Vray Env Fog. Using Progressive Sampler it takes an average of 20 minutes with DOF included. Next week I'll go ahead and test it out further.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayTestAsset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	859409Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayTestAsset2.jpg
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	859410

Comment

Is there anyway to keep the same result and adding the Volumetrics without this affecting exposure? In addition, is it possible to control the intensity of this one "per light"?

Name:	NoFog.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	859411Click image for larger version

Name:	Fog.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	859412

Comment

I got it working with the Vray Volume instead of the Vray Environment Fog. It seems much easier and reliable, although I don't like that it doesn't give you independent control per light like Modo does. Is there anyway to set it up that way?

Name:	VrayNoFogTest1.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	859414Click image for larger version

Name:	VrayFogTest1.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	859415

Comment

Originally posted by Soth3dlife View Post
            Is there anyway to keep the same result and adding the Volumetrics without this affecting exposure? In addition, is it possible to control the intensity of this one "per light"?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27806[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27807[/ATTACH]
            Hello, Can you please share what you mean by Vray Volume? I only see the Vray Environment fog in the Environment list... Im loooking to just have actual volume control back like the way Volume Light worked. That was a great tool... VrayEnvironment Fog, puts Volume Where it Shouldnt be, even with a gozmo, the EAYS are not Distinct even after days and days of tweaking every waking minute, washed out result after washed out result... Where did you find Vray VOLUME? Any hints? HAPPY NEW YEAR! Thanks...

Comment

Greetings! Happy new year for you two.

My understanding about the differences of the two ways is basically that one is an item ( Vran Environment Fog ) and the other one ( Vray Volume ) is a material that works in combination with the vray material. It seems like the idea is to apply this material to an item ( for example a cube ) which you'll use as gizmo. It's just like specifying "within this cube there's dust".

Comment

I've tried to set it up by the Modo way but it didn't seem to work.
                I may eventually add this, but I am not sure all the MODO options will be supported.
                It will work as if you have a separate environment fog affecting only the particular light, which has the Volumetrics option checked.
                Not sure how efficient that will be with many lights with Volumetrics checked.

Is there anyway to keep the same result and adding the Volumetrics without this affecting exposure?
                The fog doesn't affect exposure, it just attenuates light as it travels between
                - surfaces(Affect GI, Affect Reflection, Affect Refraction)
                - surfaces and lights (Affect Shadows)
                - surfaces and camera (Affect Camera)
                - environment and camera (Affect Background)

You can try disabling Affect GI/Reflection/Refraction and most importantly Affect Shadows, if you want to decrease the effect the fog has on the overall scene lighting.
                But, in order to get the most realistic result, you should increase the light intensity instead, or increase the fog distance to make it less dense.

I got it working with the Vray Volume instead of the Vray Environment Fog.
                The V-Ray Volume material won't work correctly when the camera is inside the volume. That's the main difference compared to the V-Ray Environment Fog item.
                More info here : http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...spheric-effect
                To have a similar result with the V-Ray Environment Fog item, uncheck Affect Camera.

Im loooking to just have actual volume control back like the way Volume Light worked.
                Isn't that something from 3ds Max ? I guess it is similar to how MODO's Volumetrics options work in that you control the fog separately per light.

In addition, is it possible to control the intensity of this one "per light"?
                This is not possible. It seems it is also not possible to control the fog's visibility for shadows per light (i.e. to make the fog attenuate only rays between a certain light and the scene's surfaces), which seems required to emulate MODO's Volumetrics.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev
                Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 04-01-2016, 09:53 AM.
                Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

and is it possible to get Render Elements out of the Vray Environment Fog? and if so matching the beauty render?

Comment

Working...
                  X