Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Hair - How to

Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with how to create fur around a mic using the hair material. This YouTube video is teasing me - but how do I get the options seen?

I can create a VRay Hair material in the shader tree, but where do I get the stuff on item list? (In the video called Boy_hair, and Girl_hair?

Under my item's I can only add VRay Atmospheres and VRay Geometry - neither of which mention anything to with hair.

I can't find anything in the help documentation other than the hair material, but nothing about creating the geometry.

Any help greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Peepo

...just seen the comment at the bottom of the video - that I need to import alembic hair as a proxy object. I've tried using MODO fur, but VRay does not seem to recognise it.

Does this mean that I need another program to generate hair?

Comment

You need to enable the Use Render Cache preference, so V-Ray will render MODO's Fur material.
      Note that I will make this a per-scene option soon, so it will move to the V-Ray Main tab in the Render item at some point.

Our own V-Ray Fur is not yet ported to V-Ray for MODO, although it is on the list of things to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	use_render_cache.PNG
Views:	5
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	867086

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks Vladimir! That's very helpful and great to know.

I've only just started to scratch the surface of VRay, and already I think it's really amazing.

Comment

Note that for the 2017.05.28 nightly build, the global "Use Render Cache" option is removed and replaced by a per-scene render setting.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev

Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
            Note that for the 2017.05.28 nightly build, the global "Use Render Cache" option is removed and replaced by a per-scene render setting.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

This is a good move, thanks. I always forget it on once i used it then after a few crashes i go back and switch it off

Comment

Originally posted by BVA View Post

This is a good move, thanks. I always forget it on once i used it then after a few crashes i go back and switch it off
              You can use the sdk.rcache.print command to check if the crash is caused by the Render Cache API and if yes, send a bug report to Foundry so they can fix it.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
              X