Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Render for Print

Hello all,

A client requested a large render for print, have a scene roughly 10800x4300.
    As you can imagine, this crashes Modo so I've had to resort to rendering small sections in VFB and write to disk.

Is there a better way to do this? Automation? I notice some options on other programs...

Cheers,

Nick

1. Using the standalone-version
    2. Using .vrimg as file format and later convert it to another file-format
    3. Cutting the scene into slices with render regions and stitching the images together afterwards
    Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
    Radetzkystrasse 102 a
    A-6845 Hohenems
    Austria

Comment

When choosing your output image, choose OpenEXR Tiled as the format.
      This will automatically switch the V-Ray VFB to "preview" mode, which doesn't show the full resolution render to save memory, and will instead write out the buckets directly to disk.
      Note, that you can't use this with the Progressive image sampler.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
        This will automatically switch the V-Ray VFB to "preview" mode, which doesn't show the full resolution render to save memory, and will instead write out the buckets directly to disk.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Thanks Vladimir. Is there a way to control the size of the buckets?

Comment

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Cool...since when is it working like that? Some years ago I remember I had to switch to .VRIMG, because otherwise my scene didn't even start rendering since the VFB was eating up all my RAM before rendering.
          Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
          Radetzkystrasse 102 a
          A-6845 Hohenems
          Austria

Comment

Originally posted by nickjamesgordon View Post
            Thanks Vladimir. Is there a way to control the size of the buckets?
            You can control the size of the buckets from the Frame tab on the Render item, under the Buckets roll-out.
            You cannot control the size of the preview I talked about.

Cool...since when is it working like that? Some years ago I remember I had to switch to .VRIMG, because otherwise my scene didn't even start rendering since the VFB was eating up all my RAM before rendering.
            I am not sure, but it is working like this in V-Ray for MODO since the alpha 3 years ago, I think.
            Not sure when writing buckets to tiled EXR was implemented in the V-Ray core, exactly.

Note: If you are not using a lot of render elements, 10800x4300 is not that large of a resolution, considering how much RAM computers have these days.
            I just started a 20000 x 15000 render and it took around 7GB, but I didn't have any render elements enabled.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I am not sure, but it is working like this in V-Ray for MODO since the alpha 3 years ago, I think.
              Not sure when writing buckets to tiled EXR was implemented in the V-Ray core, exactly.
              I was using V-Ray for MAYA 2.4 back then...glad it works now with tiles EXR's directly, because converting HUGE .vrimg files to EXR took me forever
              Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
              Radetzkystrasse 102 a
              A-6845 Hohenems
              Austria

Comment

Working...
              X