X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Vray GPU?CPU

New post on fxguide
    https://www.fxguide.com/featured/fmx...he-main-stage/
    mentions this new Vray GPU CPU hybrid rendering. Seems interesting any other places like the cg garage podcast that it is talked about in more detail?

I've heard there will be a podcast on CG Garage at some point next week.

Comment

you can do that in RT openCL but I guess nobody uses it (fretures limitations)
      Marcin Piotrowski
      youtube

Comment

We have internal implementaiton that makes it so the CPU behaves as a regular CUDA device. It is available in the 3.5+ nightlies (just enable the CPU devices from the list of CUDA devices).
        The render result should be the same no matter if you use CPU as CUDA device or native GPU. Also, this does not require any third party drivers or software, so it can work on pretty much every machine (or farm).

Best,
        Blago.
        V-Ray fan.
        Looking busy around GPUs ...
        RTX ON

Comment

Blago, do the modo nightly builds have this working?
          Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
          I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by 1funk View Post
            I am not sure, Vlado Nedev will help with that answer If it doesn't have it yet, it will come.

Best,
            Blago.
            V-Ray fan.
            RTX ON

Comment

The modo install only has "Select OpenCL devices for V-Ray RT GPU" shortcut, but doesnt show any CPU devices.

I also have the standalone nightly installed (although its an old one) and it has a "Select devices for V-Ray GPU rendering" tool which shows a CPU device above my GPU

So it looks like this isnt working in modo yet
              I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

The CPU device will be labeled "C++/CPU" in the select devices tool.

Best,
                Blago.
                V-Ray fan.
                RTX ON

Comment

Yeah I see that in the standalone nightly, but not in the modo nightly.

Thanks for confirming

Comment

Originally posted by 1funk View Post
                    The V-Ray for MODO nightly builds are from the stable 3.5 branch at the moment, where the CPU as a CUDA device feature is not present.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev
                    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

OK thanks for letting us know Vladimir

Comment

Chaos finally did what is the best solution. Now, no matter what Hardware you are using you can't be wrong.
                        Well just left open if AMD/ATI is in the game.

Comment

So does this mean there is one code base going forward OR that there still will be two, just that we can now run what use to be the GPU code on CPU?

I'm thinking it's just that the GPU version now runs on CPU yeah?

Either way it's exciting but just want some clarification as my quick read of the FXguide article didn't really seem to say.

Comment

This sounds exciting! I just tried the nightly of Vray for Max from 3 days ago to test the new hybrid CUDA rendering but most of the time when I start rendering with CUDA I get this error:

error: Error 700 while initializing context for device GeForce GTX 980! Device will not be used for rendering!
                            error: There is no device supporting at least CUDA 2.0!

warning: initDevices() failed. Please check that your system has compatible GPU devices installed.

When I render with the c++/CPU device I don't get this error but my GPU doesn't get used. I reinstalled the nightly two times with no change.
                            Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Sorry, double post.
                              Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                              AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Working...
                              X