Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips & Tricks for Moving to GPU Rendering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips & Tricks for Moving to GPU Rendering?

Hi all,

Fairly new to V-Ray and even newer to the RT GPU rendering but I'm convinced it is the way to go so was wondering if there are any secret tips and tricks to move across to a GPU rendering workflow!? (I'm mainly creating arch-viz interiors.)

I'm in the V-Ray GPU fan group on Facebook and trying to pick up what I can from there as well as reading through lots on here.

I know Dabarti/Tomasz Wyszolmirski has a script for setting up V-Ray for 3Ds Max for GPU renders (which is of no use to us Modo users!) but wondered if there's anything I need to make sure I change to get the most out of GPU rendering? (I know a big advantage of GPU is the lack of settings but I have had some renders come out very blotchy, watercolour like. Does the Sampler Type need to be Progressive and do the GI Engines need to bet set to Brute Force?)

Thanks in advance all and excited to get going!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the post. Well, you can easily save your render settings as modo preset and next you can use in a future work. You can run the V-Ray GPU manually or by scripting. The commands are: vray.rt.start rt-gpu-cuda || vray.rt.stop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Save_the_render_setting_as_preset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	867780

Cheers,
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Hi Boyan,

That's great! Good to know thanks.

While I understand the GPU rendering has no settings as such (just let it progress until I'm happy), is there a 'base' configuration you recommend at all? I have had issues with some tests I did on the GPU render coming out blotchy (though this was after I changed some settings for CPU-adv rendering)...

Thanks again!

Andy

Comment

You need to change GPU resize textures to Transfer "as is".
        Otherwise all your textures will get down-sampled to 512 pixels and become very blurry.

I will soon change the default, as this change is not obvious at all and everyone who tries RT GPU in V-Ray for MODO for the first time complains about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rt_gpu_texture_size.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	867785

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
          I will soon change the default, as this change is not obvious at all and everyone who tries RT GPU in V-Ray for MODO for the first time complains about it.
          This catches me out all the time too. Looking forward to having the default changed
          Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
          I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you, that sounds like it will do the trick!

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Working...
            X