No announcement yet.

Any plans of a Linux build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vrscene file is exported from V-Ray for Modo 3.6 and was rendered with today's Standalone build.
    That's not a very good idea, it's possible that results between V-Ray 3.6 and V-Ray Next are not the same.
    Especially with distributed rendering, the difference can become very apparent, as in buckets with different intensity.

Ideally the V-Ray for Modo and V-Ray Standalone builds should have the same build number, or at least the same V-Ray core version.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I put also a +1 for a Linux version of Vray for Modo. We've switched to Ubuntu 19.06 on our workstation and as far for the moment, everything works well except we can't get any Vray render on that platform. Seems that the only integration of Vray in Linux on a DCC is for Maya, am I right? As written up from Vladimir, exporting a .vray scene from the last version of Vray Next for Modo and rendering on Vray Standalone same number version, we should get the same results? In the end, I think that the process of rendering on the Vray Cloud follows a bit the same idea, right?

Comment

, exporting a .vray scene from the last version of Vray Next for Modo and rendering on Vray Standalone same number version, we should get the same results?
        If it's the same version, you will most likely not have problems.
        However, there can be many builds with the same version number and it's possible that results don't match (although not very likely).
        To be sure, the build number/hash has to match as well.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

If it's the same version, you will most likely not have problems.
          However, there can be many builds with the same version number and it's possible that results don't match (although not very likely).
          To be sure, the build number/hash has to match as well.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Thanks for the answer.

How we can find the different build versions of Vray Standalone? On the official page for download it (https://download.chaosgroup.com/?product=47&platform=47) it's listed just two versions with a general "2.1 update" without any other information...

Comment

I don't think we have matching V-Ray for Modo and V-Ray Standalone for Linux builds in our download section.
            For Chaos Cloud we have special builds that are from the exact same code state.

You can find the hash number in the Event Log in Modo and it's also printed right after starting vray.exe.
            I am attaching screen-shots of it.

The nightly builds have both V-Ray for Modo and V-Ray Standalone for Linux built from the same branch.
            In the case of nightly builds, there is also a build number.
            If build numbers match, the builds were made from the same code.
            It's part of the filename as well, so no need to download a build to find it.

For example
            vray_adv_42090_modo_x64_29482_install.zip
            and
            vraystd_adv_42090_linux_x64_clang-gcc-4.8_29482_install.zip

The number at the end 29482 is the build number.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
              I don't think we have matching V-Ray for Modo and V-Ray Standalone for Linux builds in our download section.
              For Chaos Cloud we have special builds that are from the exact same code state.

You can find the hash number in the Event Log in Modo and it's also printed right after starting vray.exe.
              I am attaching screen-shots of it.

The nightly builds have both V-Ray for Modo and V-Ray Standalone for Linux built from the same branch.
              In the case of nightly builds, there is also a build number.
              If build numbers match, the builds were made from the same code.
              It's part of the filename as well, so no need to download a build to find it.

For example
              vray_adv_42090_modo_x64_29482_install.zip
              and
              vraystd_adv_42090_linux_x64_clang-gcc-4.8_29482_install.zip

The number at the end 29482 is the build number.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Ok thanks for the answer! We will have a look and if there's something not clear we will ask another question

Comment

Working...
              X