Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Substance Painter -> V-Ray Render Not Working

Hi

I've exported textures from Substance using the VRay preset and am rendering with VRay in Modo. The texture is not displaying correctly - please see Substance metal vs VRay render.

In the Substance docs - https://docs.substance3d.com/integra...157352249.html

it looks like you can just plug everything into a standard VRayMaterial - diffuse map is black as I have a metal.

Substance exports with a gamma of 2.2, and Modo defaults to 1, so I've left everything as it is

+ Substance docs mention to change Normal,Glossiness and IOR to 1 for Maya, but assuming this is ok for Modo?
    + Do I need to set diffuse and Reflection to 2.2, or just leave everything as default?

Any help very much appreciated!
    Thank you

Hey, Peepo,

Thank you for the post. Can I answer you next week?

Meanwhile --- 1/ They use Linear - as Color Mapping !?
    2/ Download the lastest one nightly build -- the new option switching sRGB -> Gama 2 was added try it.
    3/ Why do not use V-Ray Metalness?

Cheers,

P.S. If you send us a scene, texture or something like that will help us.

Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Hi Boyan

Thanks for the reply and of course - next week is absolutely fine.

I unticked 'Lock fresnel IOR' and that makes things better. It's still not quite right though - the render seems quite matte, so not sure the reflection is working properly.

1) Not sure - I think internally sRGB, but not sure what the final maps are.
      2) Will download the latest nightly.
      3) Im trying to get a solution that will work for all Substance exports.

Comment

+ Substance docs mention to change Normal,Glossiness and IOR to 1 for Maya, but assuming this is ok for Modo?
        The Substance docs say that you should set these to RAW color space in Maya.
        This means (none) or Linear for the Colorspace in the Image Still tab in Modo.
        That's why your render looks wrong - the glossiness is clearly not correct, the metal looks very rough.

2) Will download the latest nightly.
        Boyan is talking about an option that sets the output image in the VFB to be shown with gamma 2.2, as opposed to sRGB.
        You don't really need that.

+ Do I need to set diffuse and Reflection to 2.2, or just leave everything as default?
        The (default) color space for all 8-bit textures in Modo is sRGB, so you don't need to change it for the Diffuse and Reflection color maps.
        As it already matches what Substance requires for them.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks Vladimir - you are so helpful as always!

I've made sure that the colorspace is set correctly, and left everything with the default gamma of 1.0.

I've done a comparison with exactly the same HDRI in both Substance and VRay and they both look very similar.

Many thanks for your help with this!

Comment

Working...
          X