Smoothing Angle setting not work in V-Ray Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothing Angle setting not work in V-Ray Material

There is a problem with the smoothing angle setting the vray material. What ever you set it won't affect rendering. Even when creating a linked OpenGL Modo material it doesn't work. It seems Modo can't deal with linked values on smoothing angle input, if you unlink it, it works.
    Anyway It should work right out of the value in V-ray material. My current workflow is setting a Modo material under the V-Ray Material that is not linked and then place the value here. However that seems not really a good choice.

I will most likely remove these options from the V-Ray material and you would have to always use a Modo material.

I think they broke with Modo 11.1v1 when the "Use polygon area" option was added.
    At the time the API wasn't updated accordingly so the new option couldn't be provided by V-Ray for Modo to Modo and the old options stopped working.
    It seems the API was updated in Modo 12.1v1.

However there is still another issue. This issue was always present since I added these options.
    When you change them, Modo won't update the normals automatically, you have to hide/unhide the V-Ray material.
    I have no idea how to fix this.
    At least, when you are using a Modo material this works automatically (still have to restart RT to see the changed normals).

Removing the options will also be future proof, if new options are added.

So basically, it will work like you are using it already, just slightly less confusing to new users.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Well, it would be a really sad move if you remove the feature. I wish V-Ray would do the tricky, but I understand that its complicated. Well Modo shaders now have a more extended smoothing feature, with support of smoothing groups and weighting. So maybe that's the reason it breaks. Anyhow it would be a shame if the Modo devs couldn't help you make this working again. Hope you find a easy solution.
      PS: I often remove any Modo material from my scene.

Comment

Anyhow it would be a shame if the Modo devs couldn't help you make this working again. Hope you find a easy solution.
        Sorry, but looking for a solution that might not exist, is going to take too much time, which I can't spend on V-Ray for Modo.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Working...
        X