Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU production render issues

Hi all,

On the left is a low res (1k pixels tall) and on the right is a high res (4k pixels tall). Both were done as production renders using the GPU. This is using the latest versions of Modo and Vray. I want the more pronounced reflections as shown on the left. However, when I up the resolution, the reflection quality changes as seen on the right. I'm referring to the reflections on the wood floor. Note - the only thing that has changed is the resolution - no other settings were touched. Should I be changing settings for high res renders? This one is giving me a headache. Please help as I have a lot of these renders to do and I can't have this visual difference happening when I want to do high res renders. Ignore the crappy color as I will be doing more editing in post. For the record the only render outputs in the shader tree are final color and cryptomatte.

Thank you,
    Rusty

Do you have a very fine bump map on the floor ?

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Yes, I do.

Comment

If you can replace it with a normal map, this will most likely fix the issue. The other option is to disable it.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Got it. I don't have a normal map so I'll just have to turn it off. I don't think it's critical to have it. Do you think I'll just have to adjust my reflection settings to compensate for the fact that I no longer have a bump map? I'll try it out either way when I get back to the office but thought I'd ask. Thank for the response!

Comment

A very fine bump map basically turns into glossiness.
            In V-Ray the bump calculation is based on texel/pixel ratio - this allows us to load a mipmap with the lowest resolution possible.
            This causes the apparent change in glossiness you see.

Greetings.
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Here is free tool that converts high maps in normal maps, if you need: https://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/

Comment

Question: Does the level of detail decrease for a Vrscan at a distance? For example when the camera is close to an object the detail is there. But when at a certain distance that same object seems to lose it's texture detail. I don't know if it's really just a resolution issue or not. I've rendered my scene at progressiveily higher levels to some extent and can't see the difference - the Vrscan texture seems to lose a lot of detail. Is this normal? Can I change this?
                Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X