Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with hdri background

Hi there,
    I am working on a project of an apartment on the 5th floor. For the lighting I use an HDRI by Peter Guthrie in my Environment Material, so not a Dome Light. I set the image on Spherical on the Y axis. The glass material has All Channels on both in the Reflection and Refraction properties. In the attached images you can see a white groundplane which I cannot get rid of. With a scene on ground level this is not a problem, but this apartment is high up. You can see in the Alpha map that the glass balcony railing is taken into account. But when I apply this Alpha map the white groundplane become visible again in the image. I edited the HDRI in Photoshop to double downwards, but still the white plane remains visible.
    How do I get rid of this white groundplane? Is it a setting? What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance for your tips.
    Bye,
    Mac van Ketwich
    Attached Files

Does it do it if you have background unseen by camera?

Comment

Hello machteld_vanketwichverschuur,

Could you please simplify the scene, then pack it and send it to us so we can have a look? You can send it by creating a support ticket via our contact form here.

Also, please make sure to mention this thread in the body of your ticket. Thank you.
      Aleksandar Kasabov
      chaos.com

Comment

Hi Guys, problem solved! So I read up about this problem and found out it had to be the Affect Channels/Alpha settings in the Reflection/Refractions properties of each Glass Material.

In this case:

We first have the window with its Glass Material. In the REFLECTION LAYER properties of this material the AFFECT CHANNELS = COLOR ONLY. In the REFRACTION LAYER properties of this material the AFFECT ALPHA = ALL CHANNELS.

Behind the window is the glass balcony fence with its Glass Material. In the REFLECTION LAYER properties of this material the AFFECT CHANNELS = COLOR&ALPHA. In the REFRACTION LAYER properties of this material the AFFECT ALPHA = COLOR&ALPHA.

See attached screenshots.

The Alpha Map is correct now, it shows the plants between the Glass Windows and the Glass Balcony railing. Also the Balcony Railing has a correct Alpha Map, it is a bit less transparent then the Glass Windows as you can see.

Hope this helps for others who have been struggling with this.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Machteld. That's good to know.

Comment

Working...
          X