Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shadowcatcher renders with colors even in alpha.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowcatcher renders with colors even in alpha.

Hi, I have a strange issue. (which I didn't have before.)
    I use vray 4.12.01 with Modo 14.2v2 (the only combination I can get to work)

I get a red and blue shadow, the more parts of the machine that are visible, the more red/blue~ish it becomes. The strangest part is that it is also visible in the alpha which of course should be black/white/grey only.
    It only seems to affect the groundshadow, rendering only reflection or neither and the coloration is gone.

My lights are white in color and my HDRI is a grey studio.

A temporary solution would be to render the shadow separately and then in photoshop make the shadow greyscaled. But I forgot how I could render only shadows, could someone help me with that?

ps, during building lightcache and prepass, the shadows looks good.
    Last edited by RobertRay; 22-11-2022, 01:47 AM.

Hey, Robert,

Thank you for the report! Could you please disable the Reflection material beneath the shadow catcher? For this kind of effect, you can use "Enable dim distance" which will create this type of effect. If you are eligible for an update you can do it to V-Ray Next 4.3 (request the support team to grant access to these builds).

Cheers,
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Hi Boyan.

When I disabled the reflection material, the shadow remains with the colouring. But I fixed it to some degree, see attachments. I set the refraction and GI amount to 0. (Of those 2, 1 must have been 'the problem')

ps, where can I find the dim distance?

I cannot get 4.3 to work with Modo 14.2.2.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey, Robert,

HTML Code:
        ps, where can I find the dim distance?
        - You can find it in the reflection layer beneath the "Exit color" option. I am sending you an example scene as well.

HTML Code:
        I cannot get 4.3 to work with Modo 14.2.2.
        - Yes, you can do it, but you need to update the config file. Locate index.cfg file. If you are a windows user, you can find it here: C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\Modo x64\vray4modo\plugins\1101\index.cfg
        Replace your digit with 1430 like "rel[1430". it will be visible.
        Or simply replace your first row with next line: <configuration kit="vray" version="4.30.00" and="app64" and="rel]1099" and="rel[1430">

Let me know if you need more.

Cheers​
        Attached Files
        Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
        E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Working...
        X