Problem selecting VRay proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem selecting VRay proxy

Hi, I can't select VRay proxy in 3d viewport, only in Item list. Also when selecting it in Item list, proxy is highlighted in 3d viewport but it can't be selected directly in 3d. It's a major workflow slowdown when trying to position proxies.

Can you tell me how you created the vrmesh file for the proxy ? Did you use the exporter from V-Ray for MODO ? Or is it from another 3D software ?
    Is the preview created from random faces or from a sub-division cage ? What happens if you switch the preview type of the "V-Ray Proxy" to
    "Bounding Box" or "Render geometry". Can you select it in the 3D view-port then ?

If it is possible I would like to take a look at the vrmesh file.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Proxy was created in modo, but from static mesh (no sds). I just tried creating proxy from normal mesh and selection in 3d is working, so it must be static mesh thing.

Comment

In that case the problem is probably the preview of the vrmesh file. It is just a bunch of disconnected triangles with lots of holes.
        When you try to click on it to select it, you probably hit a hole in the preview most of the time. So MODO doesn't select it.

Can you try using the lasso select ? I think that should work.

At some point we will add additional ways of generating the preview, that generate a simplified version of the mesh, that won't
        have so many holes in it and it will be possible to select it.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I can't lasso select this vrmesh generated from static mesh. It also doesn't work if I put preview of vrmesh to bounding box or render item. It's working if I convert static mesh to normal mesh and re-export to vrmesh.

Comment

It seems the V-Ray proxy will only get selected with the lasso, if its center(pivot) is inside the lasso area. It doesn't matter whether the original
            mesh was static or not. Does it work that way for you ?

There is definitely something strange going on.

Is it possible to send me the scene with the original mesh before it was converted to a vrmesh file ? My e-mail is
            vladimir.nedev [at] chaosgroup [dot] com

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev

Comment

I've sent you the file, hope it helps you.

Comment

I tried converting your mesh to a V-Ray proxy, and it seems it can be selected with the lasso only when the center of the V-Ray proxy is inside the lasso area (like my previous tests).
                I don't think it matters whether you use a mesh or a static mesh when converting to vrmesh.
                I don't know why this is, it looks like I am giving MODO the correct bounding box.

One other workaround is to use the "paint selection" - instead of directly clicking on the V-Ray proxy, try sliding the mouse across it with the paint selection.
                This way you will hit one of the triangles and select the proxy.

I tried how selection works with MODO's "gear" example plug-in. It acts very strange as well - there are maybe 3 or 4 specific points you need to have under
                the lasso area for it to get selected. I suspect this is something that needs to be reported to the MODO development team, as it can't be fixed on our side it seems.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Working...
                X