Displacement value not avaliable via schematics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement value not avaliable via schematics

If I am not missing something it is not possible to connect displacement map to materials in schematics. I checked on vrmat, fast sss and blend material. You can only add channel "displacement distance" that doesn't do the job for me. I found no way to use displacement with vray blend material.

Best regards,
    Jakub
    makebelievegraphics.com

Well, the displacement is really a property of the geometry, not the material. You can't have a blend material, where one material layer has one displacement, and another has different displacement.
    Whereas you can have different bump/normal maps on the different blend layers, since those only modify the smooth surface normal.

So to avoid confusion, it will be best if the displacement definition is left only in the Shader Tree.
    The V-Ray blend material has the standard V-Ray Mtl Common tab where you can specify the displacement distance.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
      Well, the displacement is really a property of the geometry, not the material. You can't have a blend material, where one material layer has one displacement, and another has different displacement.
      Whereas you can have different bump/normal maps on the different blend layers, since those only modify the smooth surface normal.

So to avoid confusion, it will be best if the displacement definition is left only in the Shader Tree.
      The V-Ray blend material has the standard V-Ray Mtl Common tab where you can specify the displacement distance.

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      I understand your point but I think that blend material should have displacement input in schematics. When you start creating your materials in schematic view (and it is a must if you use blend material for now) it would be convenient to reuse some part of your graph for displacement map creation.

All best,
      Jakub
      makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

You could still reuse part of your graph for displacement.
        Just put a constant texture in the Shader Tree, set its effect to displacement, drag it in the Schematic, and connect whatever you want to its "Value" input.

Here is an example.

Click image for larger version

Name:	displacement_schematic.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	859578

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
          You could still reuse part of your graph for displacement.
          Just put a constant texture in the Shader Tree, set its effect to displacement, drag it in the Schematic, and connect whatever you want to its "Value" input.

Here is an example.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28156[/ATTACH]

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Thank you for the tip. Sounds usful.

All best,
          Jakub
          makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

Is there any new soliution?
            If I want to do wet dot on street, how I can do it with blend material and displacement?
            In 3dsmyx it is so easy, why not in Modo?

Comment

No, there aren't any changes to this.

If it's not too much trouble, can you show me what's your 3ds Max setup in this case ?

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

I think a lot of these displacement mixing ideas came up through quixel mixer. It is just easier to use displacement to mix two shader there. Even with the 3dsmax nodes its kind of tricky to get a feeling on how to mix them. Its all possible, but sometimes I wish we had a range node (or element) to choose the values you pick from.

Comment

Sorry for my late reply.
                  this is an Youtube example shows easy way because of displacement map direct in schematic view and material.
                  https://youtu.be/2r0BXvJHutU

Comment

Working...
                  X