Vray materials without schamatics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray materials without schamatics

Can we please have as many Vray materials work only in shader tree without the need for schematics. It's not such a problem to make them in schematics but it's not really working properly when you try and save material that has schematics as a presets and also drag and drop doesn't always work.
    For me the priority would be 2-sided material, Vray Color Correct and Triplanar texture.
    As for the 2-sided material there is a dropdown now for material but every texture still has to be hooked up in schematics. Can we have a dropdown for groups instead where we can put all the textures and material?
    Many thanks
    Last edited by janko22; 02-03-2017, 04:59 AM.

Yes please. For me this is the single biggest problem working with Vray because it becomes so tough to share assets between scenes. It is a huge pain in the butt and would be great, if you could find a way to work this out Vladimir.

Comment

As far as I know, you have to save your V-Ray for MODO shaders, like complex MODO materials that are using schematics as well, as Assembly. It's really not a straight forward approach of MODO in general, also when trying to copy one rig to another scene. The process of creating assemblies might be easy for someone used to it, but sometimes it can be quick difficult to pack really everything into this assembly that's needed. I forgot to pack f.ex. the texture placement into the assembly and the whole shading network assembly was useless
      Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
      Radetzkystrasse 102 a
      A-6845 Hohenems
      Austria

Comment

Yeah I know it works with assemblies but I don't really want to do that for every material that uses schematic (which for me is almost every material except few very simple ones). Most of the time I use color correction as I don't want to tweak every texture in PS, and I can reuse one texture and just color correct it on different materials in the scene (different shades of cloth for example).
        Drag and drop and saving material presets should just work without breaking everything with schematics, that's a MODO problem/bug, and I'm not sure when will they fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelwerk View Post
          As far as I know, you have to save your V-Ray for MODO shaders, like complex MODO materials that are using schematics as well, as Assembly. It's really not a straight forward approach of MODO in general, also when trying to copy one rig to another scene. The process of creating assemblies might be easy for someone used to it, but sometimes it can be quick difficult to pack really everything into this assembly that's needed. I forgot to pack f.ex. the texture placement into the assembly and the whole shading network assembly was useless
          Yes it is possible, but it is a gigantic pain in the butt. Then it is actually easier to maually drag and then reconnect in the target scene. The workflow with assemblies is a desaster

Comment

I guess the whole community agrees that this assembly-approach isn't really artist friendly. I'd accept it for a complex rig, but for shading-networks I'd also prefer a simple "save shading network" solution like f.ex. MAYA has. Can't be that difficult
            Volker Troy

www.pixelwerk.at

+43 (0) 664 / 3 820 810
            Radetzkystrasse 102 a
            A-6845 Hohenems
            Austria

Comment

Originally posted by janko22 View Post
              It's not such a problem to make them in schematics but it's not really working properly when you try and save material that has schematics as a presets and also drag and drop doesn't always work.
              Do you know what kind of setup doesn't get saved properly as a material preset ?

Have you tried keeping all your nodes in the Shader Tree in a hidden material group, like suggested here : http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...961#post682961

Otherwise, yes, I will eventually add support for choosing a group as the sub-material.
              It will allow having a group mask inside the sub-materials, e.g. choosing a different color for the sub-material based on a material tag, which is what makes it hard to implement and will require some significant changes to how materials are named internally when exported.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I'll try and find a setup that doesnt work and I'll post a file.
                For the workflow I always put files in shadertree and drag them in schematics after that.

Comment

Ok, I have a scene. I'll mail it to you Vladimir with a description. Basically if I have a working scene with lots of materials, and some of them are copied to new materials, when I save a single preset and load it to another scene I get all the nodes from schematics of all my materials from an old scene loaded to a new one. If I have a clean scene with only one material saving and loading presets works. So the workaround would be to create every material in a clean scene and save it as a preset.That would be ok if drag and drop would work properly between scenes so I can use materials between working scenes but it doesn't. So I can't really save some material from a working scene and have it as preset to use later, I have to recreate it in an empty scene.

Comment

good point like having group support in the V-Ray blend or two sided material.. so we don't need schematic to put together our maps and maybe even once use Modo procedurals.
                    I know people moved to Modo because of shader tree.

Comment

Working...
                    X