New Feature Poll - 2017.03

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Feature Poll - 2017.03

In this poll you get to decide, which of the major features missing in V-Ray for MODO, but present in V-Ray for Max/Maya, will be implemented next.
    Let me know if you have suggestions for other features to include in the poll.
    Note that the poll doesn't include modifications / improvements to existing features, we might have a separate poll for that.

I am hoping that an initial version of each of the features will take around 2 weeks to implement, not including any time spent on fixing other issues.

- V-Ray OSL texture/material - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/OSLShaders
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...AX/OSL+Support

- V-Ray GLSL texture/material - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...X/GLSL+Support

- VRscans material - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRSCANS

- V-Ray Fur - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ur+%7C+VRayFur

- V-Ray MDL material - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...%7C+VRayMDLMtl

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    V-Ray OSL Material / Texture
    50.00%
    V-Ray GLSL Material / Texture
    7.69%
    VRscans material
    3.85%
    V-Ray Fur
    34.62%
    V-Ray MDL material
    3.85%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM.
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

If I could have weighted my choices it would be:

OSL
    MDL
    Vrscans
    Fur
    GLSL

I chose OSL because I have to make metals all the time and often use my own graphs- and this would save me a lot of time and ensure accuracy. MDL & Vrscans were almost tied, but the more I read the more I think I'd use MDL or my clients might shift to it. Tough to say though because I dread getting asked to use vrscans on a project...which is bound to happen soon...

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/OSLShaders/Complex+Fresnel+shader

I don't know enough about GLSL in actual rendering outside viewports to know if I'd make use of it.

Comment

I would like OSL cloth shader so we don't have to use gradients so much.
      After that I guess fur

Comment

I would add V-Ray Swarm to the list - would love to see it implemented sooner rather than later in V-Ray for Modo
        makebelievegraphics.com

Comment

So I voted for OSL, but just now I was thinking that I don't know much about what Vray Fur would bring.

What are the current limitations with fur in MODO? Would the Vray fur solve those issues? Isn't MODO's fur in Vray kind of broken on some levels for animations?

I don't need fur, but if it's a deal breaker for some not having Vray fur because of some serious issues with how things are currently working, I'd say that should take precedence over OSL. I have work arounds for that.

Comment

Originally posted by kubbek View Post
            I would add V-Ray Swarm to the list - would love to see it implemented sooner rather than later in V-Ray for Modo
            This requires the V-Ray Swarm devs to make some changes to it, so it works with the normal V-Ray SDK, right now it needs AppSDK (which V-Ray 3 for Revit, Sketchup and Rhino use).
            They will eventually do it, so it can be used with V-Ray for Maya. Then it should be easy to add it to MODO as well.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Originally posted by GidPDX View Post
              So I voted for OSL, but just now I was thinking that I don't know much about what Vray Fur would bring.

What are the current limitations with fur in MODO? Would the Vray fur solve those issues? Isn't MODO's fur in Vray kind of broken on some levels for animations?

I don't need fur, but if it's a deal breaker for some not having Vray fur because of some serious issues with how things are currently working, I'd say that should take precedence over OSL. I have work arounds for that.
              The main issues with MODO Fur in V-Ray are:
              - no support for animation, although I can fix that
              - bugs in MODO's Render Cache API, occasional crashes or missing info on the generated hairs, this is something Foundry needs to fix

In general the V-Ray Fur has some pros and cons compared to MODO Fur in V-Ray
              Pro:
              - generated procedurally before rendering starts, so it adds no additional time to export and doesn't increase .vrscene size like MODO Fur, which makes DR start faster
              Con:
              - doesn't allow guides/dynamics, so it can be used only for simple stuff like carpets or pet fur

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post

In general the V-Ray Fur has some pros and cons compared to MODO Fur in V-Ray
                Pro:
                - generated procedurally before rendering starts, so it adds no additional time to export and doesn't increase .vrscene size like MODO Fur, which makes DR start faster
                Con:
                - doesn't allow guides/dynamics, so it can be used only for simple stuff like carpets or pet fur
                How does it work memory wise on larger scale stuff? If I would want to to a big meadow for example. In modo I run out of memory really quickly - is vray fur better at memory conservation?

Comment

Originally posted by EDELVIZ_ARCH View Post
                  How does it work memory wise on larger scale stuff? If I would want to to a big meadow for example. In modo I run out of memory really quickly - is vray fur better at memory conservation?
                  It has some parameters to manage level-of-detail, i.e. decrease the number of generated hairs as the distance from the camera increases.
                  But I think MODO Fur has similar ones. When I add the V-Ray Fur you will be able to test it and see if it works beter memory wise.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

I went with OSL simply because it would open the door to the interior shader and others that I've been dying to make use of up to now, and to start writing. I've been looking forward to OSL for a long time now.

Comment

I vote for V-Ray OSL texture/material

Comment

Vladimir, can you give us an ETA for OSL Material ? It would be super useful for the current shaders.xyz challenge.

Comment

The V-Ray OSL Texture and Material will be in tomorrow's nightly build ( 2017.05.20 ).
                          I am not sure if I will be able to make the macOS builds work for tomorrow.
                          I will post more information a little later in this thread, since it's public and more people can see it.

Greetings,
                          Vladimir Nedev
                          Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 19-05-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Awesome! Saw the video you posted on the skype channel- this is VERY exciting news!

Comment

Any news on Swarm for Maya and then Modo? better render management is really heigh on my want list...

Comment

Working...
                              X