Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray for Nuke Frame Buffer

Hi All,

Am just getting into starting a project using Vray for Nuke. Overall I'm impressed, as its very easy to get up and running, but something that I am severely missing is a Frame Buffer to cache old renders so I can flip between different settings.

Vray Frame buffer for Maya, etc does this. Nuke does it on its own by being able to view different node outputs using the number keys, but that relies on there being different nodes to view.

Any one figured out a workflow for this at all?

Thanks in advance!

A couple of ideas come to mind:
    1. A gizmo that exposes a save button(saving the current input to a Write node with autogenerated file name) and a slider that controls a switch choosing which Write node to preview.
    2. A python script that automatically creates a Write node and saves the image so you can more easily use the "Wiper".

Comment

So basically the only way to do this is to snap render and use the wiper to compare? Was hoping there was another way.

Thanks very much for the input Georgi!

Comment

The image compare in VFB is convenient however you can only compare the raw rendered from V-Ray images.
        In an application like Nuke you can manipulate and compare the output from V-Ray in multiple stages - right after render or with comp applied.
        Wipe has some advantages and disadvantages and it can be extended or replaced with some custom gizmo/python.

What use case do you have in mind - comparing just VRayRenderer output, final comped image, combination or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by georgi.dunchev View Post
          What use case do you have in mind - comparing just VRayRenderer output, final comped image, combination or something else?
          Yes, I would be using it primarily for VRayRenderer output. In this particular instance I was generating displacement maps for a prop in Nuke to harness its image adjustment capabilities. But I quickly found that I couldn't compare renders as I adjusted settings on nodes in the displacement map tree. I would have to either build a separate tree or render out a frame and then use the wiper. This is such a vital feature to any render package, I think it should be looked at for sure. Maybe a custom VrayViewer or just build it into the VrayRenderer node?

Comment

Working...
          X