V-ray NEXT version not loading materials for V-ray sketchup/rhino *.vismat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray NEXT version not loading materials for V-ray sketchup/rhino *.vismat

Hello. When I used previous versions of V-ray you could download materials such as sketchub or Rhino (free for example). It was enough to change the extension from "Vismat" to "vrmat" in the text editor and the material was ready. Now in the new version of 'NEXT' V-ray no longer loads such material. Where is the error. What to do so that you can load ready materials from other programs that support V-ray into the NEXT version.
    Greetings, Marek

Hello Marek,

We don't support .vismat files anymore. Here is a link to our documentation where this is described.

Best,
    Ana
    Ana Lyubenova
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Revit
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

An additional question, if you open a .vismat file in Notepad, does it display readable content?
      Ana Lyubenova
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Revit
      www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

The * .vismat (sketchup / rhino) material file v-ray for Revit did not support. It was enough to download such free material and unpack. Change the extension from * .vismat to * .vrmat - I will not describe how to do it because there are many ways. Previous v-ray has loaded such material. It is true with extended parameters, but it was loading - all versions 3 ...... Now I want to do it and do not load. There is a lot of free materials to download, even interesting and useful. It is a pity that the Next version does not support such. Below are screenshots of such loading. It was, as far as I remember, the free material that I downloaded as vismat. I changed the extension to vrmat - with previous versions (in 2016). I could now load the material saved in this way. When I do the same with the Next version - the material cannot be loaded. Something is wrong with the new version. I will only add that the description of such a change from vismat to vrmat was described in this forum in one of the first posts.
        Attached Files

Comment

Marek, .vismat files were considered legacy long ago. However, there are two types of .vismat files - binary and .xml. The .xml is still loadable if you change the extension.
          That's why I asked you to open your file in Notepad to check whether it's .xml

Best,
          Ana
          Ana Lyubenova
          Product Manager
          V-Ray for Revit
          www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi Ana,

I'm having a similar problem.

I have a lot of .VISMAT and .MAT materials I want to use in V-Ray 5 for SketchUp however I can't load them as they're not .VRMAT and nowhere seems to offer a way to convert them.

I've tried what you suggested and changed to extension but that doesn't work either. Both the .VISMAT and .MAT materials I change to .VRMAT can open in notepad/text editor and show text?

Please say you have a work around or a way to use all the old materials as I can't find a .VRMAT material catalog online.

Thanks,

L

Comment

Hi luke_towner,

The forum includes several topics related to your subject and this one provides some explanation: https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...d-the-old-file

The support of .VISMAT files has been broken several years ago with the release of V-Ray 3.4. Please note that major V-Ray versions introduce breaking changes and are not fully compatible one to another. All teams at Chaos are giving their best to make the migration process from one version to another as smooth as possible but some improvements require just completely new setup of your scene or material so you can see their true value.

Please contact our support team providing some samples of your files. They could give you more detailed directions.

Regards,
              Tanya
              Tanya Dilkovska-Petrova
              Team Lead
              V-Ray for Revit

www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
              X