Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Vray scenes from Revit into 3ds Max?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Vray scenes from Revit into 3ds Max?

I may just misunderstand this, but is there a way I can take a Revit project file that I have added materials to via Cosmos, and somehow import it into 3ds Max while keeping these Vray materials?

Since this Revit Vray implementation seems to be "virtual" in the sense that I'm not really changing the Revit materials, and the changes are only visible at rendering, it would seem that Vray for Revit somehow should be able to save down a sidecar / XML file that Vray for 3ds Max somehow could read?

It would obviously be very useful to do conceptual visualization in Revit, but then take it to the next level in 3ds Max / Vray without having to start from scratch.

Hi Nicinus ,

We've been working to extend that workflow.

Currently, you can export a .vrscene file from Revit which will hold all the scene data (geometry, materials, lights etc.) and import it to 3Ds Max. Further material overrides could also be done (link here).

Regards,
    Ana
    Ana Lyubenova
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Revit
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi, thought I would check in whether something has happened around this potential workflow? Perhaps be able to do this via FBX and keep more intelligence?

Comment

This workflow is under works right now.

Can you elaborate a little bit more on the intelligence topic? Possibly with specific examples.

Best,
        Ana
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi Ana, sorry for late reply, summer travels have gotten in the way of work.

I guess I'm thinking of things that simplifies my workflow, which is initial work in Revit up until the point where the main structure is set, and then moving it over to Max and Vray for more detailed studies.

I have used Enscape, which allows me to get good real-time spatial interpretations of a building, but I personally don't see Revit as a suitable platform for the end visualizations for many reasons (clogging up construction documents, not suited for millions of polygons, awkward material system for this level of photo realism, etc) so everything beyond basic materials in Enscape in the end becomes a waste of time. As it is not my end visualization tool I have no interest in adding accessories or high polygon items such as furniture. Revit's material system is a bit rigid and I assign materials in terms of line patterns to clarify materials in drawings, but do not touch the Appearance tab, as this again becomes a waste of time in my workflow.

Vray for Revit is therefore potentially a much better path if I could do initial setups, like HDRI, Vray's cloud system, bring the Vray material replacements into Max, cameras with some settings, aso. Basically let me do more in Revit that transparently follows the model into Max, i.e. open the Revit file in Max and keep all the Vray setups.

Comment

Hi Nicinus,

I know it's been a while but here's what we just launched: https://www.chaos.com/blog/seamlessl...-and-cinema-4d
            You can give it a try and let us know what you think.

BR
            Ana
            Ana Lyubenova
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Revit
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks Ana, since I develop my Revit scenes in 3ds Max I normally don't use Enscape but I will take a look. If this is a very transparent workflow I guess I could just as well do basic materials and renders in Enscape as in Vray for Revit.

It begs the question though, is Enscape replacing Vray for Revit as a product? Or maybe it already has I just didn't realize?

Comment

I wouldn't say that Enscape replaces V-Ray for Revit. These are a couple of different products. Enscape is great for real-time design explorations and iterations, whereas V-Ray - for photorealistic final renderings.
                Ana Lyubenova
                Product Manager
                V-Ray for Revit
                www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
                X