placing lighting fixtures in Revit views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• placing lighting fixtures in Revit views

I imported a few lighting fixtures from chaos cosmos and when I try to drag them into my views it won't let me.
    This building has a vaulted ceiling and these are designed to be suspended fixtures that hang at 8'-0"
    I tried dragging them into the floor plan, roof plan, and reflected ceiling plan and nothing is working. What am I missing?
    Thank You

Dear vanderloo​, hello here as well.

Please keep in mind that you are able to attach all models in a 3D view to the correct surface they are designed to (wall, ceiling, flooring).
    According to the same types you could add them in a 2D view >>> in a Section (wall-based models), a Ceiling plan (ceiling lamps) or in a Floor plan (freestanding models).

Explaining in steps:
    1. Download the model from Cosmos
    2. Import it to the scene which triggers a special mode
    3. You could add the model where you wish within the opened view
    Visually shown here.

Be sure that the View Range of the chosen view (Properties > Extents > View Range) is properly set up.

We have detected issues with some ceiling based lighting fixtures - in the 2D/3D views they are showing below the suspended ceiling, but are properly shown in the render.
    This is related to the Cosmos models and we will communicate this with the dedicated teams in order to solve it.
    So, thank you for pointing our attention in this direction.

If you share the exact Chaos Cosmos models that you have experimented with, we could continue the discussion to clear out is anything else involved in your struggle.

Wishing you a wonderful day,
    TS
    Tsvetomira Girginova | chaos.com
    3D Support (AEC,HOU,C4D) Team Lead | contact us

Comment

I am trying to work with Cosmos Eclipse 152 050, Cosmos Iwaki 152 036, and Cosmos Okinawa 152 035 They are not installing in any view. Could it be because of the vaulted ceiling?
      I guess that brings up another question- will these hanging fixtures adjust for the ceiling vault, (slope)? I want them to hang level at 10'-0"

Comment

Hi again,

Just tested the mentioned models. Placing Cosmos Iwaki 152 036 and Cosmos Okinawa 152 035 works pretty well.

Let's pay attention to the important things again:
        1. These all three models are ceiling based, so they could be placed in a 3D view or in the Ceiling plan
        2. When you open the Ceiling plan be sure that the View Range is properly set and you are actually seeing the created ceiling
        3. Then insert the models
        4. Double check in the 3D view and in a Section view

Side note: Cosmos Eclipse 152 050 is wrongly placed which I added to the already opened issue REVIT-4381.
        Please take a look at the example here, created by following the described above.

Comment

Well then, my guess is they aren't showing up because technically there is no ceiling. In this project, the roof IS the ceiling. And, as I mentioned, it is sloped so I'm not sure how I can place these fixtures at different parts of the ceiling but still hanging at the same height, (Say 9'-0" for example).
          Easy to do in the field. But not so sure about illustrating in Revit.

Comment

I sure wish someone was out there to help me through this. I've spent so much time trying to get ANY lights to install and none will. I am under the assumption all of the light fixtures are host based but that is not showing up in the properties.
            I would hope to uncheck "hosted" or uncheck work plane based, and place it wherever I want but that option is not available. And, if I ever do get these to install I'm not sure how I will set the elevations to show attachments to the sloped ceiling, (roof).
            I've tried 6 different cosmos light fixtures and none of them will install. Just getting the circle with the slash through it when dragging on to any plan view. Currently working with cosmos Argus one LED and Cosmos Sphere.

Comment

I added a ceiling below my roof at the same pitch and now I can install the lights. I just need to figure out how to get them down to the same elevation. Using the Argus One LED
              Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2023-09-26 145136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.8 KB ID:	1191735
              Last edited by vanderloo; 26-09-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Hi again,

The ability to edit Chaos Cosmos models in V-Ray for Revit is logged in our system with REVIT-4057 number.
                So, at the moment you are not able to do it right away.

A workaround could be to duplicate the Family and edit the model to receive the needed result, which should include manual calculations about the cable length to do it extra punctual.
                Excuse us for the inconvenience, we will try to improve this workflow in the future.

Comment

Hello vanderloo,

Unfortunately, the Cosmos assets are not as parametric as Revit families are.
                  While we're looking for a solution to that, here's a simple workaround.

1. Have a horizontal ceiling in Revit
                  2. Attach the Cosmos lamps to it (pendants utilize a ceiling-based family template)
                  3. Model the cable as an in-place family (or have a parametric one which could be reused across projects, and which could vary not only in length but in diameter too)

Attached is an image to illustrate the above steps as well as the file I used. I hope this helps.

Best,
                  Ana
                  Attached Files
                  Ana Lyubenova
                  Product Manager
                  V-Ray for Revit
                  www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thank You Ana

Comment

Working...
                    X