.mat vs .vrmat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .mat vs .vrmat?

I'm on vray-materials.de and they have tons of downloadable vray materials. But I'm told the vray material library is populated with .vrmat files. All of the downloads from this site are .mat files.
    Are they unable to be brought into the vray materials library? Or, not true vray materials?

Hi vanderloo,

The .mat format is native to 3Ds Max. To use those materials in V-Ray for AEC (Revit, SketchUp, Rhino), you need to export them as .vrmat. This could be done from within V-Ray for 3Ds Max.

Best,
    Ana
    Ana Lyubenova
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Revit
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Ana,
      I did a vrmat export with the vray material I created in 3ds max. Went into Revit and imported the material into the asset Editor. Applied it as an override to a Revit material in the appearance manager. And the original Revit material does not change in the view.

Comment

Which V-Ray for 3Ds Max version that .vrmat was exported from?
        Have you noticed any errors in the VFB log panel when you rendered that material in V-Ray for Revit?
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

I'm using VRay 6 1.1, Max 2024. There is a mile of dialog in the vfb log panel errors. But none look related to this material.

Comment

I'm trying to create a siding similar to this photo and I used a wood flooring plank material in revit and tried to override it with the material I created and it will not show up. I'd be really happy if someone could direct me to a vertica l siding material like this but I'm still not sure how to get it into revit if its a vrmat.
            Click on the screenshot link
            Attached Files
            Last edited by vanderloo; 06-10-2023, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Hello vanderloo,

If I'm getting it right, the main issue is that the replaced material does not actually appear on the rendering. I think it will be easier for us to advise and navigate you, if we arrange a remote session.
              Let me introduce you to my colleague zhanet.georgieva , who will take care about that session.

Regards,
              Ana
              Ana Lyubenova
              Product Manager
              V-Ray for Revit
              www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Hi vanderloo​,

We've opened Ticket 162013 following this forum post so we can set up a remote session.
                Last edited by zhanet.georgieva; 09-10-2023, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X