Ambient Occlusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient Occlusion

Vary for Revit is for currently missing ambient occlusion... Please add it in future releases.
    Last edited by TimberKing; 10-05-2017, 10:55 PM.
    Albert Gerard
    V-Ray architect

The great part about using VRay is the flexibility. Being able to mock something up, outline with Toon, shade, then make quick renders is amazing. I hope to be able to achieve this simple NPR style in the future, but for now only AO is missing.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Interior view march 12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	261.5 KB ID:	867723
    Last edited by TimberKing; 01-09-2017, 09:31 PM.
    Albert Gerard
    V-Ray architect

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, TimberKing!
      Ana Lyubenova
      Product Manager
      V-Ray for Revit
      www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Lyubenova View Post
        Thank you for your feedback, TimberKing!
        Well, hold on. I was just in touch with my license supplier about this. He got a hold of Cory Rubadue at Chaos Group and was told that it actually was possible. He passed along this picture as proof but didn't disclose how he did it!!

Ana, is Corey in your office? Could you tap him on the shoulder and inquire? Otherwise... who should I contact with such specific questions about my V-Ray Revit software?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TimberKing; 04-06-2017, 10:37 AM.
        Albert Gerard
        V-Ray architect

Comment

Albert,

we currently do not have ambient occlusion controls exposed in Revit. I was the one who created the image you referenced above using a toon material with a dirt map applied. The dirt still applies the ambient occlusion effect, it's just through the global override material, rather than using the Ambient Occlusion settings you are used to in our other plugins. I attached the material I used, as well.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

-Ben
          Attached Files
          Ben Hurlbut
          V-Ray for Revit Development Team
          Chaos Group

Comment

Aah, but no vraycomptex, so this dirt map can't be combined with other materials. So no Toon materials, textures or colors as with AO! Thanks for your help though, and please (please) include ambient occlusion in future releases!
            Albert Gerard
            V-Ray architect

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Hurlbut View Post

we currently do not have ambient occlusion controls exposed in Revit...
              ...Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have!

-Ben
              I'm up and running thanks to your example texture. Thanks for the leed. So this approach essentially uses a Toon material with Dirt as a base. But with no CompTex there's no obvious way to have a diffuse map with the dirt material. However I got to thinking; can the Dirt's 'Occluded' & 'un-Occluded' slots be filled with two lighter & darker maps? It turns out, that yes they can. Click image for larger version  Name:	DIRTY.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	966095

Quite a round-about way to achieve such a simple visual effect. Shame because this trusty NPR+AO+TOON style has become a staple of my workflow through years of V-Ray. Without AO how else can anyone expect to render interior views without modeling every light source??

I can only hope developers take note of this for future releases.
              Last edited by TimberKing; 02-05-2019, 01:18 PM.
              Albert Gerard
              V-Ray architect

Comment

Yes, Ambient Occlusion please!

Comment

Ben Can I ask, I have downloaded your toon map from above and like Timberking above i wish to edit the Dirt map base that is embedded into it. I can do this by selecting the base material /override within the advanced tab and hitting the little "edit selected material" button adjacent but how on earth do i get back up a level to the Toon layer?

There seems like there is no way to do it and hitting save simply saves the base material out as a new vrmap. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Hello Loam,

Currently, there is no way to edit the base. This is a limitation of the V-Ray material editor where only simple (single) materials can be edited.
                    We are working on adding support for editing complex materials in our next release.

Best,
                    Ana
                    Ana Lyubenova
                    Product Manager
                    V-Ray for Revit
                    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks Ana

Comment

TimberKing , we have added the AO settings in V-Ray Next for Revit.

LOAM , with the new Asset Editor in V-Ray Next for Revit, you'll be able to take advantage not only of toon material editions but also other complex materials.

Trial can be found here.

Best,
                        Ana
                        Ana Lyubenova
                        Product Manager
                        V-Ray for Revit
                        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Lyubenova View Post
                          TimberKing , we have added the AO settings in V-Ray Next for Revit.
                          Ana, Ben and everyone else at Chaos Group, thank-you so very much for excellent software.
                          Albert Gerard
                          V-Ray architect

Comment

Working...
                          X