Rhino file is slow when opening because of V-Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino file is slow when opening because of V-Ray

Started with this in the Rhino forum but after some troubleshooting it has become clear that it is a V-Ray issue.

I’m working on a Rhino file (~260mb) which every time it opens I have to wait about 30 minutes for it to become usable. The first 30 minutes, commands have a huge delay (5-10 seconds) if they even work at all. Even zooming in and out or panning has the delay. Somewhere around 30 minutes after opening this delay is gone and the file becomes more or less fine to work with. Additionally, when this file is open my computer will completely freeze 1-2 times per day. This happens more often during that first 30 minutes after opening. I’m using the file to to render with V-Ray. I have a decent amount of materials and proxies but I have tried to keep the file size down by using proxies, especially for objects with lots of polygons.

Part of the troubleshooting that was done was to open with the V-Ray disabled. When I did this, the file opened quickly and without issue.

I realize that this issue could likely be solved by increasing the performance specs of my computer but I am really trying to figure our what specifically is causing this and what I can do in the interim to make things run smoother.

A little about my computer:
    CPU - Intel ® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @3.60 GHz (8 CPUs)
    RAM - 32GB
    GPU - AMD Radeon R7 450
    256GB SSD (15-20GB of space left)

Sorry, no help, but some questions. How high is the RAM usage if the file is opened? How much RAM is free? Are you using textures at the network? Is it only with this project file? And maybe you could check the GPU VRAM usage. GPU driver up to date?
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Hi,

Could you please advise what is the full version number of V-Ray?

In the meantime, please be advised that depending on the complexity of the project and the assets related to it, it could take considerable amount of time for everything to load.

If deemed necessary, we could arrange a TeamViewer session to further investigate the behavior on your end.

Comment

Micha My memory usage when opening is between 6 - 7 GB out of my 32GB. My GPU memory is less than 1 GB out of 20 GB. And yes, I updated my GPU driver last week. I am using some textures and proxy objects that are on our network but most of the larger objects I have save locally to my machine. Yes, it is only this project file.

georgi.georgiev It is V-Ray 3.60.03.

Comment

If you use V-Ray File Path Editor to Archive and Re-path the assets on a local drive, does this improve the load times?

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...le+Path+Editor

Comment

georgi.georgiev First of all woah.. I didn't know this existed, so thanks haha!

I have repathed everything and the I am still having the issue. I am going to send an email to support@chaosgroup.com to move this discussion there.
            Last edited by fotenn_lind; 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X