Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU Bump Texture gives strange result

Hello,

The bump map gives some strange results when rendered with the GPU, (see attached). My set up is Win 10 Pro, 2 x RTX 2070 (latest drivers), Rhino 5, vray_adv_40002_110480_rhino_win_x64.exe

Just in case it's useful, I've also had issue rendering bitmaps sequences on materials using the GPU in Houdini.

Ash
    Attached Files

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply!

Is there a specific reason why the Texture Placement > Type mapping is set to Environment?

Otherwise, kindly note that this mapping is not supported by the GPU render engine when applied to geometries and abnormal results could be expected.

Comment

Hi Georgi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I wasn't specifically trying to use the Environment mapping, rather showing that whatever I use (2D or Environment), it doesn't work.

"mapping is not supported by the GPU render engine"

You mean to say that I can't use bitmaps for textures if I render with GPU?

Ash

Comment

He sayed "this mapping ..." and I suppose it means environment mapping at objects isn't supported by GPU.
        www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Hi Micha,

Good point. That the Environment mapping doesn't work, is pretty evident. My real point was that 2D(UV Channel) doesn't work either, it has that weird faceting.

If you look at the images above they are both bad, not just the Environment mapping.

(BTW, thanks for all the posts you make in this forum, they are really enlightening)

Comment

Maybe something with the mapping isn't right. You could copy the bump texture to the binding and check the pattern in the simple rendered viewport of Rhino. Doe's the pattern looks right? I use GPU and 2D (UV Channel) bump mapping here too and it works.

( Thank you. )

EDIT: you wrote the faceting is the problem. Maybe the render mesh is to raw.
            www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Comment

Working...
            X