Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BUG: V-Ray interactive display mode some times missing and reload plugin cause VFB reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: V-Ray interactive display mode some times missing and reload plugin cause VFB reset

Hi,

it's a quite old bug - some times the interactive render mode get lost. It should be fixed, but at Update 2 it's still alive. The workaround was to set the render engine to "Rhino renderer" and than back to V-Ray. But I found now this cause that the VFB is reset, lens effects and frame buffer control setups are lost.

I hope the two problems can be fixed.

-Micha
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Hi,

Could you please provide a step-by-step description(screenshots or a video will be highly appreciated) of how to replicate the issue?
    Additionally, please specify what exactly do you mean by “ interactive render mode get lost”.

Thank you!

Comment

Hi slavcho.brusev

In the meantime I got contact to Peter.Chaushev here https://discourse.chaosgroup.com/t/v...missing/786/13 and he seem to know the issue that the display mode disappears from display mode list. Only he didn't confirm that the workaround doesn't work. Here step-by-step of the second issue:

* render something or open the frame buffer and set a custom curve
      * now switch the render engine to "Rhino render"
      * now switch back to V-Ray -> the frame buffer controls are reset

Comment

Hi, I've experience this same issue. The V-Ray Interactive Display Mode option will disappear. Only way to get it back for me is to close and reopen the file.

1. Option is not present, no issue reported in viewport.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	no_option.png
Views:	1298
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1101368

2. Close and reopen file, issue is reported in viewport.

Name:	not_available.png
Views:	1116
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1101369

3. Change viewport display mode to something else...wireframe.

4. Set viewport to V-Ray Interactive, then it works. Until is disappears again...

Name:	available.png
Views:	1287
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1101370

Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys,

* render something or open the frame buffer and set a custom curve
          * now switch the render engine to "Rhino render"
          * now switch back to V-Ray -> the frame buffer controls are reset
          This is not exactly a bug but still, there might be a way to improve this behavior.
          I'll talk to the developers and get back to you.

Hi, I've experience this same issue. The V-Ray Interactive Display Mode option will disappear. Only way to get it back for me is to close and reopen the file.
          Which V-Ray version are you using.
          If I remember correctly this issue was fixed and should no longer occur in the latest V-Ray 5.

Konstantin

Comment

I have "seen" the missing interactive V-Ray display mode today - at the last released version.

Comment

Been happening for years and Still happens and its 2023. For whatever reason if you need to open a 2nd instance of rhino, or when editing blocks in place, the option to render in viewport disappears and the only way I've found so far is to just close everything and re-open. You can still interactive render using the vray window but I prefer using the rhino viewport, especially if I'm not using dual monitors.

Comment

Hello ryan_howell,

I have tried to reproduce the issue with two and three instances of Rhino opened, but with no luck so far.

Can you please share some more information regarding your case:
                • Your current V-Ray version (V-Ray>Help>About V-Ray).
                • Rhino version (Help>About Rhinoceros).
                • Are you rendering with a V-Ray CPU or GPU render engine?
                • Does it happen that every time for you or the issue is not consistent?
                Natalia Gruzdova | chaos.com
                Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for responding Natalia,

I can reproduce it everytime and I'm using what I believe is the most current version (vray for rhino 7 version 6.00.21). Create a model in rhino and save it, now open an existing model and insert the new file as a new block (embedded and linked). now try to edit part in place, use the 1st option "launch another copy of rhino to edit linked file". once it launches, save it out or simply exit which will bring you back to the file which has the block and your viewport option for vray disappears. I use rtx rendering and have a nvidia rtx A4000 card.

Comment

Thank you ryan_howell for answering my questions.

I have checked with our developers and unfortunately the outcome is expected, because this is a Rhino limitation that we can not override.

The display mode is registered globally and is stored in the Rhino settings file. These settings are used for every instance of opened Rhino files.

Once any of the Rhino instances is closed, the V-Ray Interactive mode is not present in the instances that are left open. Instead of closing everything you can just open a new empty Rhino scene.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Natalia,

Yes if I open a new instance of rhino the vray viewport option is there, but this doesn't help me avoid having to close my already opened file and re-open it. I was hoping there was a work around to get it to re-appear without having to do that.

Comment

ryan_howell unfortunately there are no other ways for now. I have logged an improvement ticket VRW-4053 in our internal system. Developers shared that they will see what can be changed here.
                        Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Hey ryan_howell​ and Micha​!

Here's some good news.
                          Our developers implemented a Reset option in vrayVPRSettings to re-enable the V-Ray Interactive display mode.
                          Rhino keeps all registered display modes in a global settings file. Modifying the file from one instance, modifies all active instances. For example, ​​​​​if another Rhino instance is started, where the current render engine is set to Rhino, these settings are used for every instance of the opened Rhino files. That is why the V-Ray Interactive display mode disappears. It can be re-enabled easily using our new Reset option without closing the Rhino project.
                          The Reset option will be available in the next hotfix.

Best regards,
                          Ivelina
                          Ivelina Mincheva
                          V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
                          www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                          X