Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DS Materials to VrR Issues

Hello!

I am new to the forum, and I have a couple of questions regarding material conversions from 3DS, and would happily take any suggestions to improve my workflow.

What I do/What I'm doing:
    I am an architectural designer who models in Rhino and renders with VfR. When staging my scenes, I use purchased furniture models from designconnected.com, who supplies 3DS models with VRay textures applied. Before, I would take these models and recreate all the materials in VfR with the provided maps. But this method has become very cumbersome with detailed scenes.

My Issue:
    When using the V-Ray .vrmat converter in 3DS, the imported materials seem to lose any diffuse colors or linked bitmaps. I added a screenshot of how they appear below.
    For example, a sofa's materials came in with the correct Color Correction and Fall-off attributes, but all the colors and values were empty. I tested this on multiple materials and on multiple models, but the results were the same.

Additional questions:
    Currently, I own a permanent license of VrR and am on a trial license for V-Ray for 3DS.
    Do I need to also purchase a V-Ray license for 3DS just to convert the scene materials, or is there another workflow method?

Edit:
    I am using Rhino 6.27 and Vray 4.20.02
    Last edited by tyler_napolitano; 15-07-2020, 04:39 PM.

Hi tyler_napolitano

Regarding the .vrmat converter from 3Ds max, kindly note that the tool is outdated with legacy plugins and conversion cannot be guaranteed in all scenarios, however, improvements will be implemented in the near-future.

In respect to the licensing, to use all V-Ray features such as exporting proxy meshes and scene, adjusting materials and such, it is necessary to obtain a workstation license

Comment

Interesting, thank you for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X